DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan

The Nidec-Servo's Scythe Gentle Typhoon (Model# D122C). This fan has been regarded as the best static pressure optimized fan by DIY PC community since it's release in 2008. The original D122C is no longer made, but there is limited stock available at some online retailers. Last year the D122C Scythe GT fan was resurrected and manufactured as "Darkside Black Edition" by Dazmode. It's the same specs as the original, but now has Black fan blades. Many PC Modders including myself have painted these fans to fit the color schemes of our custom PC builds. I've been asked several times over the years how to remove the metal c-clip without losing or breaking it? This is my DIY guide to removing and installing external retaining ring or c-clip. Like many others, I've also lost these tiny c-clips while learning the best technique for handling this task. 

Nidec-Servo's Scythe Gentle Typhoon Factory Spec PDF link, http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/pdf/D1225C.pdf 
Speed:  2150RPM
Air performance : 68.8CFM
Nose: 34db (25cm from the fan, free air)
Power: 12VDC, 0.123A (0.63A peak max)
Operational voltage range: 5-12V (~900rpm-2150rpm)
Bearing: Ball
Expected life: 100000h/35c or 55000h/60c
Appearance: Full black
Dimensions:  119 x 119 x 25 mm / 4.68 x 4.68 x 0.98 in

WARNING:

Perform this task with Safety Glasses, the tiny Black metal retaining ring (c-clip) can and likely will pop off, so perform this task in a clean workspace, so you can find it. I suggest doing the work on a large white bed sheet and holding a large magnet near the fan hub as you remove and re-install the c-clip, to increase you're chances of not losing the c-clip. I haven't found a source for ordering replacement c-clips yet, but I'm still searching. 

apart_1_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

Here is my suggested Tools & Supplies

Heat Gun for removing the fan label. Hair Dryer on HIGH setting will work as well.
10" Wire Cable Tie 
Large magnet (not pictured)
External Fixed-Tip Retaining Ring Pliers
Tweezers
Needle Nose Pliers

apart_2_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

apart_3_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

External Fixed-Tip Retaining Ring Pliers, http://www.saeproducts.com/retaining-ring-tool.html 

apart_4_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

The fan blade looks as if it would snap-on and off, but not the case.  
apart_5_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

We need to remove the back label to access the external metal c-clip on the fan shaft.

apart_6_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

Swipe heat gun or hair dryer back and forth over the label.

apart_7_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

Use the Tweezer to peel off the fan label.

apart_8_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

Stick the fan label on a clean metal surface while you perform your work. 

apart_9_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip_

You will tie down the fan hub with this Twisty tie. The fan shaft has a retention spring inside. You need to compress this spring, so you can remove the metal c-clip. If you don't, it's almost a guarantee that the c-clip will fly off the shaft faster than a bullet. 

apart_9a_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Using Twisty tie to compress the fan hub spring, by tying down the hub to the fan frame.

apart_9b_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

apart_9c_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Close ups of the Black metal c-clip inside the Scythe Gentle Typhoon.

apart_9d_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

apart_9e_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Insert the two prongs of the Retaining Ring Plier inside the jaw of the c-clip.

apart_9f_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

If you have a large Magnet, Position it near the fan hub, just in case the c-clip pops off.

apart_9g_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

apart_9h_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Holding the black metal c-clip in the Retaining Ring Plier.

apart_9i_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

You will widen the jaw of the c-clip and need to bend it back to it's original opening, so it maintains it's grip. 

apart_9j_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Hold the c-clip in the Tweezer while using a Needle Nose Plier to compress jaw of the c-clip.

apart_9k_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Doing this will allow you to re-use the metal c-clip.

Edited by mnpctech

apart_9l_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Here is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Cooling fan dismantled

paint_pc_fan_corsair_sp_120mm_140mm_guid

If you're wanting to paint your PC cooling fan. You can watch my DIY video guide to painting PC cooling fans

apart_9m_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

View of the spring inside the Gentle Typhoon PC Cooling fan, "Be careful, don't lose it!"

apart_9n_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

To re-install the metal fan c-clip, grip the c-clip in reverse position on the plier.  

apart_9o_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Reversing the c-clip on the plier will make it easier to re-install the metal cooling fan c-clip

apart_9p_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

Before releasing the plier, make sure the c-clip is properly seated on the fan shaft, otherwise it will fly off!

apart_9q_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

If the cooling fan label has very little adhesion left, I'll apply drops of Krazy or Super Glue to re-apply the label. 

apart_9r_disassemble_pc_cooling_fan_clip

The job is finished!

Edited by mnpctech