OCC dead?

lucio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The right side of the home page are all recent posts in the forums, yes it has been slow the last few months, but now that summer is over it usually picks up. :thumbsup:

It's been slow for more than the last few months and it didn't really pick up last year? I don't know the site visit stats but the forums aren't doing very well of late in my opinion.

It was a little worrying when the front page tech news was used to make the forums look a little busier. Seen this happen on other sites.

Maybe it's just me? What does everybody else think?

Well it's an overclocking forum and not much discussion on that takes place anymore. I wish there were more how to guides on overclocking and other things being posted to help draw in new blood. I found just about every pc related forum that I still frequent to this day while searching for stuff like that. Hell even some good old highest OC or case modding contests could help also.

I think forums in general have slowed down a bit across the net - but reviews are still good stuff. :) There's always a slump when school is back in session, this summer the forums were pretty active IMO.

I think its the hardware, there just hasn't been anything exciting in a long while.

Intel is still doing its thing with tiny tick-tock advances to the point that i5/2500 or i72700 is still pretty competitive with the brand new stuff.  And AMD is still selling the same fx series chips for so long now that the only new stuff is mid teir (new athlon chips).

Graphics cards is about the same with the last big step back with the gtx7xx or hd7970 series.  Since then the 9xx or r9 stuff might be better but not much.  Strides have been made in heat, power, and price, but the performance hasn't really jumped.

Ya the forums have slowed down a lot. We lost alot of dedicated members to school, work, military, family, kids etc etc

Life effects as all including me, the computer industry is changing a lot too which doesn't help. Upgrades, overclocking, and modding isn't what it used to be, but I have been thinking about changing OCC up a bit and adding items outside of normal hardware, examples, tablets, laptops, phones etc etc. I just don't know if I want to cover that here. I am going to be pushing more guides and how to guides on OCC because those are awesome things to have and bring traffic for long periods and it always helps bring in new people asking questions. Now a days there is less volunteers that have the time to spend on OCC, with the economy and the cost of stuff these days we all have to work to pay uncle sam, even tougher with a family or doing heavy school loads. 

As for Traffic outside of the forums we have really started picking pretty nicely, but spring and summer have always been lower, but as soon as Sept rolls around things start to pick up. I talked to a lot of other site owners and we all have seen a drop in traffic on main sites and forums its been going that way for a few years now. Mobile has really taken a lot of overall PC usage way down and it shows. Of course you have the big item reviews that bring in the big surge of traffic or a Claymeow news article that attracts so much attention that I start receiving hate mail lol

Of course then there is always google, you pretty much can figure anything out from them so there is no need to join a forum, its sad but its a reality. But I do appreciate all of you that still keep the forums alive and ticking so if there is anything I can do to make things better for you guys let know.

If anyone is interested in writing guides let me know. I will reward you in some way that benefits us both for doing it.

If there are items you would like reviewed on OCC let me know.

What do you guys think about some benchmarking challenges just for OCC members. We can throw up some awesome prizes, let me know if you guys are interested. :)

The right side of the home page are all recent posts in the forums, yes it has been slow the last few months, but now that summer is over it usually picks up. :thumbsup:

It was a little worrying when the front page tech news was used to make the forums look a little busier. Seen this happen on other sites.

Maybe it's just me? What does everybody else think?

The only reason this was done was to block that spam and the bad crap being posted on the comments on the home page. It was hard to monitor so it was easier to monitor it here. But I get what your saying

Well it's an overclocking forum and not much discussion on that takes place anymore. I wish there were more how to guides on overclocking and other things being posted to help draw in new blood. I found just about every pc related forum that I still frequent to this day while searching for stuff like that. Hell even some good old highest OC or case modding contests could help also.

This is something I am going to have mr ccokeman look at doing. I am hoping we might have one towards the end of Dec or begining of Jan but its something I want on here and it needs to be on here. But its hard to get them done without help outside the reviewers, but like I said I am changing some stuff around here. We finally have some staff back that had to take leave so the extra bodies will be a huge help for me

I think our biggest problem is simply that games aren't made for PC anymore. We don't have to build crazy rigs anymore to play the latest games at max settings. My rig is like 5 years old(?) and still plays every new game on ultra, and its not even a real crazy rig ether.

I remember back when the first crysis came out etc everyone was in a rush to build a rig that could play it maxed out. Those were the days when custom building was huge. These days you can just go get a prebuilt from X company for like $600 and play any and all the latest games for several years.

Bottom line is consoles are smoking the PC gaming / pc gaming market.