780 ti vs 970 for fallout 4

Wolfrider

Now that fallout 4 is out, I find it time to upgrade my gtx 760, as it can only handle medium settings;

I want to buy a used card, and is just so happens that the 780ti and 970 cost the same (300 eur) used. 

Which one would give the better performance?

I know that the maxwell architecture is much more efficient, 

but my 850 watt power supply can handle both.

My monitors are 1080p, I might upgrade to 1444p later, 

but then again I will only use the cards for a couple of years until I upgrade to a 4k rig (when they are affordable)

any help would be appreciated 

There's a few early benchmarks out there

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/fallout-4-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,7.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Fallout-4-Spiel-18293/Specials/Test-Benchmark-vor-Release-1177284/

They don't seem to be that different in Fallout 4, I would check out other games performance too since, plenty of those benchmarks out. Which has more vram that you're looking at? I'd probably just go for the newer one, idk

Normally, I'd vouch for the GTX 970, but there is no fix for their 3.5GB+ VRAM throttle issue. I always wondered why my two GTX 970's in SLI on a 1440P 110Hz overclocked monitor had so many issues.

Go for the GTX 780 Ti if you're choosing between the two.

Capitan - I disagree completely. The 970 is a better card in every way.

Again, I would agree with you (and disagree with myself) until more than 3.5GB's worth of VRAM gets used. Then there's going to be big performance hits making games near unplayable. NVIDIA calls it a 2% - 4% FPS drop, but that's FPS (and also incorrect, it can be as much as a 50% drop). That doesn't account for the stuttering. I still have GTX 970's around (1920 x 1200 60Hz single card systems), but I have to limit the graphics settings on games that have that issue. Otherwise, yeah, better card in every way.

Edited by El_Capitan

Again, I would agree with you (and disagree with myself) until more than 3.5GB's worth of VRAM gets used. Then there's going to be big performance hits making games near unplayable. NVIDIA calls it a 2% - 4% FPS drop, but that's FPS (and also incorrect, it can be as much as a 50% drop). That doesn't account for the stuttering. I still have GTX 970's around (1920 x 1200 60Hz single card systems), but I have to limit the graphics settings on games that have that issue. Otherwise, yeah, better card in every way.

Let me get this straight.

You're saying the OP should buy a 780 Ti, a 3 GB card, over a card with 4 GB of VRAM (3.5 GB at full speed), because...if you use more than 3.5 GB the 970 might slow down a bit? The 780 Ti will fall flat on its face LONG before a 970 will even begin to choke.

I don't see the logic here at all.

Let me get this straight.

You're saying the OP should buy a 780 Ti, a 3 GB card, over a card with 4 GB of VRAM (3.5 GB at full speed), because...if you use more than 3.5 GB the 970 might slow down a bit? The 780 Ti will fall flat on its face LONG before a 970 will even begin to choke.

I don't see the logic here at all.

The GTX 780 Ti is actually marginally better than the GTX 970 in performance, particularly at 1200P gaming or lower. Go higher than that, and where games utilize > 3GB but < 3.6GB VRAM, the GTX 970 will outperform the GTX 780 Ti due to the extra 0.5GB VRAM. Anything over 3.5GB VRAM usage on the GTX 970, you're going to get worse performance than a GTX 780 Ti with over 3GB VRAM usage.

I would trade my GTX 970 4GB's for GTX 780 Ti 3GB's any day. I'm fine with my GTX 980's and GTX 980 Ti for higher resolution or HD texture mod gaming purposes.