Frustrating Sony Viao laptop

IVIYTH0S

So I'm trying my best to restore an old Sony Viao laptop for a friend, when I first received it I found it to have a completely dead harddrive so I sold him an old unused 500GB that was sitting in my room.

Re-installed windows on it and it froze on the personalization screen (Win 8.1)...so I was tired and just let it sit over night. Today I was able to get into windows and all and started to install some things when it froze again. I was thinking maybe it was some kind of thermal overload and freezes as a safety precaution. I just blew out the cooler, repasted it (the old paste has literally become solid rock, I've never seen paste harden as much as his had). The fan definitely is running less and quieter BUT the thing still freezes.

I've tried removing a RAM stick and it seemed to buy a little extra time but STILL freezes :wallbash:, I've alternated the sticks running just one at a time and it just freezes. I have no idea what could be causing this issue, I'm at a complete loss but really want to get this laptop working again because it has a sentimental value to him. Any suggestions? I figure the only thing I could try now is pulling the bios battery and resetting the bios but I doubt that'll help.

Pic of what it does when it freezes (the HDD light always is completely solid, and the charging light is too even if it's done charging)

stupid%20viao_zps9m9och2s.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

run memtest from a bootable flash drive? both sticks could be bad. I'd rule that out first.

That was one of the first things I did right after I realized the harddrive was completely dead. 3 perfect passes. No idea what the issue is...

3 perfect passes wont tell you anything. run test #5 for a minimum of 20 passes.

Make sure you Select test and enter Test #5 that is normally the hardest test. Then if I still suspect ram I'll run test #8

If you just run it from boot it does random test..... it may never error

3 perfect passes wont tell you anything. run test #5 for a minimum of 20 passes.

Make sure you Select test and enter Test #5 that is normally the hardest test. Then if I still suspect ram I'll run test #8

If you just run it from boot it does random test..... it may never error

It's worth a shot, I always thought 8 was the hardest.

Did you run a temp monitor program on it, seems like it's locking up from a heat issue, or maybe the cpu overheated once too often ??

No I haven't but the fan runs far less intensely and I can feel less heat being emitted since I repasted it. Edited by IVIYTH0S

Definitely have to narrow it down. Btw, does it give you a BSOD code?

No BSOD ever. Just hard freezes

Any GPU sinking that needs TLC?

No, the only sinking it has is for the CPU, it's not shared. Maybe I could try baking the whole board as a last resort.

It passed 17 passes on test 5 for memtest and then froze, I restarted it and it has done 6 passes on test 8 so far.

61 Passes and still going on Test 8...It's MORE than safe to say it isn't the memory but still strange it froze on the 5th test but not the 8th. Really all there is to do at this point is bake it though, but since that can't happen I'll have it start on some test 5's now to see if that'll reproduce the freezing symptom.

if that doesnt reproduce the issue try re-seating all the cables or film strips.

Yeah I'm up to 21 passes on test 5 right now and still going...*rips out hair* :lol:

If I'm in there ripping all the cables out then that som'bitch's board's coming out and feeling the heat of my oven...I'm just too busy right now to do it :unsure: