Never purchasing Open Box Motherboard again

So in April of this year I purchased a "open box" ASRock Extreme4 Z77 Motherboard from Newegg.  It worked alright...had memory issues from day one but dealt with it over the span of 5 months until the motherboard completely died on me about 2 weeks ago.  Upon trying to RMA the motherboard I found out that ASRock's RMA policy is "All RMA requested products with any physical damage, bent pins, purchased as open box, or without a valid invoice/receipt is treated as out of warranty. RMA out of warranty products, ASRock will charge $50 Labor & Service fee*/each and provide 3 months warranty for the above replacement product."  So basically the $20 or so I saved by purchasing an open box motherboard nullifies any warranty that would normally come with the motherboard which is totally NOT worth it.  I easily would have spent the extra just to have the however many years of warranty for when stuff like I had happen.  This puts a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to ASRock and purchasing open box items in general.  Don't think I will ever purchase another ASRock motherboard due to this. Does anyone know if this is pretty much the same for all motherboard makers?  This is only my 2nd open box purchase from Newegg...the other one was a 24 inch Asus monitor which is still running strong after 3 years but to get something to die in less than 6 months and find out from the beginning that the warranty was void simply for buying open box really sucks...its a major risk I will never take again at least not on a motherboard. Just a word of warning to others out there.

I think the problem is you bought a AsRock  :whistling: 

In all seriousness sometimes it a luck of the draw. So far I've bought about 5 openbox motherboards from newegg and haven't had a problem yet.

If AsRock and NewEgg don't think a product will last more than 3 months why should you. I would let them both eat their products after some one returns them.

Edited by phil69

I think the problem is you bought a AsRock :whistling:

In all seriousness sometimes it a luck of the draw. So far I've bought about 5 openbox motherboards from newegg and haven't had a problem yet.

There's nothing wrong with ASrock, he just got unlucky this time.

I have that exact board and it has been problem free for years. Open box items are a gamble and if all you're saving is $20, I agree the gamble is not worth it :/ 

Newegg has a 30-day from the invoice date full refund or replacement on all openbox motherboards.

If the board had an issue with the memory on day one you should have returned it on day one.

I've bought lots of openbox motherboards and have sent back a few for miner issues and as long as they are returned within the 30-day from invoice date time period Newegg always does the return/refund. 

Haha. ASrock = Ass rock

If you ever get open box motherboards, get MSI or Gigabyte. They will get full warranty from the first date of purchase (which you won't know), but that's still roughly 3 years. If you get an ASUS motherboard open box, they might be recertified, which only gives you 90 days warranty.

What I disagree with is how ASRock sees an open box item...an open box item from Newegg at least is a product that someone else purchased and returned within their 30 day limit and then I purchased later on...now unless Newegg is holding this item for more than 3 years which I just don't see happening...my guess is that when I bought the motherboard it wasn't more than 6 months old but because someone else had it before me it this nullifies a 3 year warranty?  I think ill take your advice captain and get MSI or Gigabyte open box motherboards next time...for now I purchased a ASUS Z77 Sabertooth board from a friend for $100 and he said if anything came up he would RMA it for me because he has the original purchase receipt

What I disagree with is how ASRock sees an open box item...an open box item from Newegg at least is a product that someone else purchased and returned within their 30 day limit and then I purchased later on...now unless Newegg is holding this item for more than 3 years which I just don't see happening...my guess is that when I bought the motherboard it wasn't more than 6 months old but because someone else had it before me it this nullifies a 3 year warranty?  I think ill take your advice captain and get MSI or Gigabyte open box motherboards next time...for now I purchased a ASUS Z77 Sabertooth board from a friend for $100 and he said if anything came up he would RMA it for me because he has the original purchase receipt

ASUS has the same warranty policy as MSI and Gigabyte, you don't have to have anything but the serial sticker on the product to send it in for RMA. I'm just saying that open box from Newegg from ASUS is actually recertified/refurbished, and not actually open box.

..i'm with horneybluecow,...i've had one asrock in my young building career and it was a fail...support was a fail, and final resolution a fail,...never again,...on the other hand, i've had several open box asus and gigabyte mobos that have been and still are good to me..so there ya go