Overclocking iChill GF GTX 980Ti X4 Ultra AirBoss to 1600MHz?

ShockerJ

Hello guys,

so im new to overclocking and i was just thinking a coolest card as iChill x4 AirBoss could be overclocked to 1600Mhz and stays stable? the factory OC is 1152-1241.

i don't know if it's up to the GPU or cooling system or anything else to be able to achieve that.this card has some seriuos cooling system so i think temperature won't be a problem?

i appreciate any help from you guys, could this card achieve 1600MHz base clock with that cooling system?

Thanks.

Hard to guarantee that far off the factory preset.

GPU OC is just like CPU OC, depends on the luck of the bin. NVidia, just like Intel, only guarantee a chip will do the listed specs, anything else is icing on the cake. ;)

As for reaching that high OC without putting it under water, I'm not so sure that'll be possible. Plus that's an open air design cooler, so most of the heat dissipation will go inside your case heating up the rest of your PC. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the 9XX series since I'm still on a 780Ti. But on Air I wasn't able to get my card above 1200Mhz, now with water it's up to 1315Mhz. When I tried to kick it up to 1400Mhz I started getting some artifacts without my card even getting hot, it never goes above 46 Celcius. So even with cold temps, you are still limited by the luck of the damn bin!

I'd say that's a bit too high for air and/or it's too far from the factory clocks to guarantee it, regardless of the cooling system.

Edited by MedievalNerd

Well I managed to get around 1450MHz actual boost clock in gaming with my reference MSI GTX980Ti with a bit of added voltage (1.24v up from 1.19v).

You should be able to get a decent overclock. Remember to raise the power limits. 

If you want to overclock your memory, you can end up with it sitting anywhere from 1900MHz (7.6GHz effective) to 2000MHz (8GHz effective, you can check the speed in GPU-Z) which is a nice boost from stock.

Edit : Oh and 1600MHz is probably not achievable. You could probably get around 1500-1525MHz with a bit of luck though.

It really is luck of the draw unless you are really pushing some voltage to it. My average OC for a maxwell card is 1512Mhz on the core with a high of 1609Mhz on a GTX 970 and an average of 1981 on the memory with a high of 2052Mhz on that same GTX 970. Lows were 1418Mhz on my TitanX and 1928Mhz on a GTX 960.

If the card is more than a reference PCB with a bad ass cooler you could do well but the silicon is only going to give you what it can without modding it.