Help to OC older setup: Asus P5Q SE2 & Q8400

Hey guys! Anyone know of some very specific info about overclocking the above combo? I am new to OC'ing and I have so far overclocked it via some info from another forum to 3.0ghz. It goes ok but has frozen twice since i did it about 5 days ago. It runs 24/7 but speed step technology is on, so it's not at a constant 3. I would like to OC it to 3.2ghz as I read that another guy had it on this very stable. Problem for me is even at 3.0ghz when I run prime95 and realtemp, it gets quite quickly up to 75degrees celcius, which is not ideal at all. Any info appreciated! Cheers. 

Hey guys! Anyone know of some very specific info about overclocking the above combo? I am new to OC'ing and I have so far overclocked it via some info from another forum to 3.0ghz. It goes ok but has frozen twice since i did it about 5 days ago. It runs 24/7 but speed step technology is on, so it's not at a constant 3. I would like to OC it to 3.2ghz as I read that another guy had it on this very stable. Problem for me is even at 3.0ghz when I run prime95 and realtemp, it gets quite quickly up to 75degrees celcius, which is not ideal at all. Any info appreciated! Cheers. 

If it's already hot at 3.0Ghz, don't think you'll manage to get it to 3.2. Does that board have an 'auto' setting for  CPU voltage, or do you set it manually? Maybe you want to experiment with lower voltages, but if you are already experiencing hangs/freezes, don't think it'll improve if you try lower voltages.

You might have reached the best OC you can get with the current cooling setup you have.

Also, it's not because someone else got a certain level of OC that you will necessarily be able to achieve the same even with the exact same chip. Bin lottery plays a role in how far OC your chip can do, and so not all chips are made equal. :/

Edited by MedievalNerd