Considering upgrading

I am considering upgrading my gpus. I have been told that the xeons in my current rig would bottleneck a gtx 900 series card. I'm running a dual xeon 2.4 ghz with 16 gigs ram. I do not have the full specs right now.

Basically I am looking for the best card I can get with out bottlenecking it.

Thoughts?

A while back ago I read something that said if you go from to PCI Express 2.0 with a 3.0 card the difference is marginal. If you're on that upgrade path anyhow you may as well. Worst case scenario your next upgrade all be a main board processor and memory

• 3 weeks later...

CPU's nor PCIE 2.0 won't bottleneck graphics cards. At most, there are two things that your CPU will have effect on from my experience and tests:

1. Minimum FPS. Going from an i7-950 to an i7-2600K back in the day and running some graphics benchmarks, the only improvement I noticed was the minimum FPS being on average 5 - 10 FPS higher. That had a minimal gain in total average FPS. Not sure if it was the PCIE 3.0, or the CPU. It didn't matter if the 2600K was at stock, or overclocked to 4.9GHz.

2. Physics. CPU demanding games aren't optimized to use the graphics card to offset compute tasks because some cards aren't optimal at it, and it takes away from the rendering workload. This is the game's design decision, if there was an option to choose between compute processing within the game's options, that would solve most people's issues with what they think is bottlenecking their gaming.

As long as these are at least first-gen Westmere Xeons you'll be perfectly fine (albeit a bit CPU limited in very specific scenarios) with a fast GPU.

It'd be a huge upgrade regardless of any slight slowdown you'd see running at PCIE 2.0, and you can always roll the GPU into your next build a few years down the road.