Windows 7 VS 8 VS 8.1 VS 10

Black64

So with all of these Windows versions out now I am getting very confused. Here is in a nut shell what I am trying to figure out, which OS is better for gaming? 7 vs 8 vs 8.1 vs 10?

By gaming I mean, which OS is the best for drivers, stability, overall system performance, etc.... 

I currently use 7 on 2 out of 3 of my machines and I love it, very easy to use and game on

I use windows 8.1 on my laptop with the Classic Shell mod, Thanks IVIYTH0S! I like it, but have run into driver issues already, not to happy with it.

Personally, I don't care about having the latest OS, only having the latest hardware, I only need my OS to work and not crash.

Whats your opinion?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had not problems in any OS except Windows 10. Driver optimization is still an issue with Windows 10. For example, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my 120Hz monitor that has two R9 290X's in Crossfire with a Creative Titanium HD with upgraded op-amps. I was able to get everything to work with new AMD Catalyst drivers, even overclocking the monitor to 120Hz, but Creative hasn't yet released drivers for Windows 10 for the Titanium HD to work. They won't have one to be released until September.

That said, I haven't played many games lately, but the games I did try out in Windows 10 didn't have any issues.

Not had an issue with Windows 10 so far. Like it better than 8.1. Only had it not be able to play one game and that's SimGolf, which plenty of others have had problems with. Seems to be kind of hit or miss on what exactly works for it, so won't hold it against the OS for not playing a game I haven't touched in the better part of a decade. :lol: Other older games work just fine, even ones that use DOSBox.

I've had not problems in any OS except Windows 10. Driver optimization is still an issue with Windows 10. For example, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my 120Hz monitor that has two R9 290X's in Crossfire with a Creative Titanium HD with upgraded op-amps. I was able to get everything to work with new AMD Catalyst drivers, even overclocking the monitor to 120Hz, but Creative hasn't yet released drivers for Windows 10 for the Titanium HD to work. They won't have one to be released until September.

That said, I haven't played many games lately, but the games I did try out in Windows 10 didn't have any issues.

That's more of an issue with Creative, they have always been behind with their drivers for new operating systems. I remember when Windows Vista came out it took them almost 6 months to fix their drivers so that surround sound would work properly, then they charged you $6.99 for the "patch"

it's not that win10 isn't stable, it is, but the nagging repetetive issue is that the damn thing is geared toward the sales, commercialization and the microsponge store...

over and over i get reminded that microsponge office 365 is available, or that there are several ways i can "get microsoft office",...

add to that the constant reminders that one note, and microsoft cloud, and store, and groove, all their other microsponge crap is in there throughout the os, end up being one giant commercialized PITA,...uh, imho...in my humble opinion you can have all the exteraneous commercial caca and leave me a functional, easily customizable, os that lets me do what i want to do without having the microsponge big brother beathing down my neck and watching every move i make,...like cortana does...

ok rant finished

thank you

cj

I have been running Windows 10 preview & DX12 Beta on two gaming rigs for past 8 months, running both CF and SLI mid-range cards with Intel Quad-Core 40-lane CPU.

With W10 and DX12 the stacked VRAM is great if your running a pair of 2GB or 4GB cards,.. and the user-mode driver has become multi-thread aware for CPU, thus Microsoft has essentially doubled CPU performance across four threads while running DX12 compared to DX11,.. however the degree of the improvement will depend on how well the game code is optimized for VRAM stacking and multi-core CPU's.

To put it in other words Windows 10 & DX12 simply can't solve a problem that exists within the game itself but it does the job that it's supposed to, and brilliantly so.

Edited by Braegnok