Milky Way and Aurora

Psywar

I had some downtime Saturday so my brother and I drove to Cass City, MI which is about an hour and half from me.

I have been trying to get a photograph of the Milky Way for about 2 summers now. Every time I head up north I always get rained out or I am dumb and I go on a day there is a full moon.

Well, Saturday I got super lucky. I saw the Milky Way for the first time and I captured it! I also went to shoot a star trail photo using the north star as my focus. When I looked at my live view of the photo I saw green on the horizon. I yelled at my brother to come look at the photo, and sure enough the aurora was in full bloom. 

Here are two of my favorite shots I took and you can view some of the others on my Flickr Account if you are interested. I also have a 14 second time-lapse of the aurora which I thought looked pretty spiffy.

I am pretty proud of these. Especially since it is my first time seeing and capturing them. 

Auora.jpg

Milky Way.jpg

Looks pretty good! Never seen an aurora in person before, so still hoping to at some point. You happen to catch any of the Perseids the other night?

I was sadly at work the night the Perseids were going in full stride.

The aurora is really amazing to see and I would give anything to actually be up north farther to see it in full bloom all around me.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I am very happy with these.

Yeah, it is really sad the amount of light pollution in most of our hometowns. 

I think each state should have a dark sky preserve. I feel that the wonder of space is lost due to the fact no one can really see the stars anymore. 

Ah, damn. I was on the road when the Perseids were going on, but it was a little too early for them to really hit their stride. Did see a few, which was pretty sweet.

I'm lucky to live in an area that's more dark than anything else at night. :lol: I can still see the night sky pretty well in town, and if I go just a few miles north, even more is visible.

Ah, damn. I was on the road when the Perseids were going on, but it was a little too early for them to really hit their stride. Did see a few, which was pretty sweet.

I'm lucky to live in an area that's more dark than anything else at night. :lol: I can still see the night sky pretty well in town, and if I go just a few miles north, even more is visible.

You always tell me this and I am very jealous. I need to head down that way and we need to hang out then do photos at night lol!

Chuck my wife says when we meet up you need to show her how to take pictures like that. I just showed her this pics and she's way jelly!

Yeah? Sounds like a plan. It is actually fairly easy to do. The hardest part is getting the correct focus and setting the correct ISO.

I can see the Milky Way from my porch.

You, sir, are one lucky dog. I have to drive over and hour just to see it faintly.