Getting wireless-LAN signal at far end of house using wireless access point

Perscitus

My house is a split level with the modem in the basement... this results in a pretty awful signal on the top floor. This is a problem since there are multiple devices trying to use the wireless-LAN from there. I tried using an extender, but that didn't work so well, the house is just badly shaped for it to work (plug locations are crap to top it off).

So my current idea is to run an ethernet cable from my modem to the office on the top level which has an Ubuntu server I setup for us to store files on. I would be connecting the ethernet cable to a wireless access point. That should enable devices and the server to get a strong wireless signal.. at least as I understand it.

Does this all make sense or will I run into a problem somewhere along the way? Just wanna make sure before I go spending the cash for the wireless access point.. Which brings me to the next question, does anyone have an inexpensive model they recommend?

yes you can do this. Most cases a WAP will have NO encryption meaning anyone can access it. Some may and some may not. I have an Asus one that has no encryption options.

However you can use another Wireless router and do the same thing. you just turn OFF DHCP on the second wireless router and set a few parameters and you're good. There are many guides around the net to do this.

I have to do this exact same thing as my house is brick in parts so i use routers at each end of the house.

Since the connection would be made using an ethernet cable from a port out of the back of my modem/router. How would using a router instead of an AP on the top level end up effecting how the computers connected to it are viewed by network? I would like to be able to view them on the network as it would normally show up if it were connected to the modem if that is possible. 

As long as it's a router that lets you properly adjust the options it'll do the exact same as a dedicated access point (AP) for less money.  Granted, if you go with a business grade AP you can get much better wireless coverage IF you're willing to pay for it.

Here's a screenshot from my old Linksys E4200 that's acting as an AP at the opposite end of my house to the Netgear Nighthawk that's on router duty.  

image.png

Simple as turning off DHCP and configuring the wireless options as usual.  Physically you usually need to plug one of the LAN ports from the primary device to a LAN port on the "AP", though I've run into a few routers over the years that have a built in AP mode and then use the WAN port to connect to the primary network but that's as easy as swapping around cables to see what works. 

It might be way away from the above solutions terminology, however i just discovered this feature which i had never used for the same problem.  

If you do happen to have a LED,LCD tv which most of the homes do.. these TV have a feature called direct share, av..app etc.. 

They basically act as a hotspot using the same home wifi. 

So no need to invest in another modem//Router, or go via the extender setup. 

Just for your Info, might help.