New Build z97

get_saif

Ever wonder, when you look back at all the system builds you have accomplished and you realize, wish i had build it this way it would have come more strong.

Well that's what happened to my last build. Experience is my teacher. Certainly not coming from books :).

I had build the system based on the striker extreme board, spending most of my budget there.

Overclockersclub members who did take time and replied to my posts last time .. hurrah!!! to you.

This very moment, 11.05am, August 4th 2015 I am more excited, enthusiastic but lacking the present hardware knowledge required, been out of the game for almost 4 years now. Tech changes every day.

That did not disappoint me, in fact i nearly spent say 50 hours reading my hearts content about this new build idea.

This configuration is just getting better, but but but but.... with a budget in mind.

And guys, I have moved to Saudi Arabia for my work, and guess what?

Components here are expensive, specially GPU.

Example 99$ worth sold for 199$ and SSD warranty standard 10 years, but you get 1 year only ..seriously!

Anyhow, here is goes.

CPU: i5 4690K

MB: NOT SURE (Budget with OC capability, with required basic stuff)

GPU: GTX 960 2gb (SLI if needed) or 970 4gb (heard 970 had 3.6gb issue, if its not resolved)

PSU: Corsair CX750M or CX600M

RAM: Corsair vengeance 1600 8gb or something else

Cooler: C.Master Hyper 212 EVO

The idea this time is to save on MB, spend more on GPU .

Build for Games windows 10, 1080p (LG - LED).

Dragon Age Inquisition, GTA V and the future coming games.

Offtopic, my little alienware m11x runs Skyrm at high for its resolution. I was wow.

So guys what you think, whats your input, which board and anything else i am missing out on...whats your take on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128760&cm_re=sniper-_-13-128-760-_-Productis a cheap board that supports overclocking, no need to spend extra on a Z97 unless you go for better cooling. You will be heat limited on your overclocks anyways.

Their really isn't an issue with GTX 970s and their 3.5GB of ram. The card isn't limited by it and other than being dishonest the 970's kick ass.

Either PSU will work fine, even if you go with an SLI setup assuming the PSU has enough plugs the 650 whould be up to the task of dual 960's (though the 970 is probably a better option).

Processor wise, the old gen probably wont drop much in price.

GA-B85M-Gaming 3 ? I guess that's what you are directing towards. However, this board just supports.... overclocking, it will not be a comfortable board. 

And regarding z97 heating and good cooling solution, the environment the build is going to be sitting is Air Conditioned 24/7. I did think of water cooling, but dropped for this reason. 

Air cooling should be okay, if not will swap with water cooling. Should not be a problem.

And I don't see my self upgrading for couple of years, so a good stable board is crucial. 

Corsair CX600M should be fine then. As you say GTX970 is a better choice, it has 145W requirement. If down the line a nother card is added SLI, will 600M survive as it has 80% from corsair or its better is stick with 750W. Just a budget move.

Edited by get_saif

I haven't used those boards personally but ASUS makes top quality boards. I would go with whatever fits your budget.

If you ever plan on doing an SLI setup the z97 is the best way to go. Other than that performance gains will be very small from one board to another. I specifically linked the g1 gaming as it I better than the G3. The G1 is slightly narrower than a regular atx, but it does support overclocking even though it isn't a z97

Good luck, I hope some other members join in the conversation too

Here is goes, have been able to put down a list 

Mobo: Asus Maximus Hero 7

Cpu: 4690K i5

Ram: Kingston 2x4Gb ddr3 hyper-x Furry(budget)

PSU: corsair hx750i

ssd: thinking....128Gb though!

Cooler: working on it. or it just might be C.Master Hyper 212 EVO

I have the Maximus VII Hero, MSI Z97 Xpower, ASUS Z97 Deluxe and MSI Z97 Gaming 7. All of them will suite your build well. All of them will overclock your processor as far as it can go. All of them have excellent features sets. The ASUS ROG and MSI Z97 Gaming boards are red and black and feature a gaming centric feature set. ASUS Z97 deluxe givrs you the most expansive feature set and the Xpower is gaming and extreme overclocking centric although the Maximus VII Hero is also tailored to the overclocker as well.

Okay guys, i picked up the config. 

Processor: i5-4690K

Mobo: Asus Z97-A

Ram: Kingston hyperX 1600mhz (Thats all i could find here)

psu: HX750i

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980

Cooler: Noctua u14s

Now for some reason, the GTX 980 is running at x8 (1.1) from GPU-Z info. The card is installed on second PCI-E x16.

When on load it did change to 3.0 but yet not to x16...

Haven't tried any settings on the BIOS yet, you think some to do with it?

Or the M.board is just acting up

post-25614-0-93711600-1439108229_thumb.jpg

post-25614-0-48210400-1439108502_thumb.jpg

Edited by get_saif