New Laptop advice

Black64

I am looking for a new laptop soon, I currently don't own one, but I really should. I do want to game with it, but battery life is not important. Looking to get one with the new GTX 980m, mostly for games like Skyrim, SWBF2, SC2 and No mans sky. I do like Alienware a lot and I've owned about 3 of them in the past. I also like ASUS stuff, but they seem to be much higher priced.

Here is the refurbished one I am looking at 

Any have any ideas for a cheaper/better Laptop?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not cheaper, but better, check out the Razer Blade Pro line. I'd stay away from refurbished laptops from ASUS or Dell/Alienware, they do a pretty shoddy job, and refurb warranty is only 90 days (ASUS) or 100 days (Dell).

if you play last generation games, go for something cheaper, a 980M is overkill.

Go with a decent processor and a mid-end gpu and be done with it.

Laptops aren't meant for gaming in the first place.

And never go alienware, they are overpriced.

Could always take a look at Sager or the selection at Xotic PC. Also, like WarWeeny said, if you're playing older games, dropping down to a 970M or a 960M would more than suffice. No Man's Sky we have no clue about yet, but if a 970M can handle Witcher 3 and GTA V at 1920x1080 with high settings, NMS should be just fine.

Well the thing is, a used older laptop costs almost as much as a much newer refurb. It will cost me just a few hundred more. And I would actually like an ASUS, but they are way more expensive then an Alienware.

When you're getting into a desktop replacement, you're going to be spending a decent chunk of change. No real way about it. If you absolutely need a desktop replacement, there are options, but just expect to spend $1,000 minimum for something you'll need to have plugged in more often than not.

For something a little less than that Alienware, there's the MSI GE62 Apache Pro-055. Smaller screen, 970M, but solid for the rest, including a 128GB SSD plus a 1TB HDD.

Yea I am expecting around $1500+ anyway. I want something that can play almost anything at high-ultra. Just checking to see if there were any better deals out there.

Well, based on the tests at Notebook Check, the GTX 980M, at 1920x1080, can do ~60FPS in Witcher 3 on high and 86FPS on ultra in StarCraft 2. The GTX 970M can do ~47FPS in Witcher 3 on high and ~81FPS on ultra in StarCraft 2. Even the 965M can do ~62FPS in StarCraft 2 on ultra at that resolution, with the 960M dropping that to ~52FPS; neither one really recommended for something like Witcher 3.

Now, for Skyrim, the 970M can handle that well, considering it's faster than the 880M, which could do 60FPS in Skyrim.

If you look at some with the 970M, you may be able to save some money, if you aren't set on that Alienware you initially linked.

Maybe not cheaper, but better, check out the Razer Blade Pro line. I'd stay away from refurbished laptops from ASUS or Dell/Alienware, they do a pretty shoddy job, and refurb warranty is only 90 days (ASUS) or 100 days (Dell).

Says you! I have a Dell 15R SE I got refurbished off of ebay of all places and it's been absolutely perfect to me for over two years now! Got it for $574 instead of of $750-$900 it was worth. Best laptop I've ever gotten.

I still don't understand the desire to game on a crappy laptop that's not upgradeable. If you're never going to game unplugged anyway, just build a mini-ITX gaming box for cheaper...

I still don't understand the desire to game on a crappy laptop that's not upgradeable. If you're never going to game unplugged anyway, just build a mini-ITX gaming box for cheaper...

This too lol

I need the ability to take it with me on business trips and something to feed video to a projector once and awhile, the only portable feature it needs to have is to fold up and fit in a carry-on. I can't bring a mini-ITX, keyboard, mouse, monitor and all the cables. Laptop size and battery power doesn't bug me, but not having enough GPU power at the end of the day to game on 1000 miles from home does.

I kinda need desktop power + the ease of setup and transport of an all in one PC + ease of transport of a laptop.

Edited by Black64