NVIDIA's Tegra X1 SoC Handles Linux Pretty Well

bp9801

NVIDIA's Tegra X1 SoC is said to be a beast, and judging by how it performs in the SHIELD Android TV, it lives up to that performance level. However, the SHIELD is running Android, an OS that isn't on the same level as desktop OSes, so how would the Tegra X1 handle that? Well, with ease, apparently, as a SHIELD TV running Linux is able to go toe-to-toe with an Intel Core i3 Broadwell processor. Ubuntu 14.10 was used on the SHIELD TV, and in some tests it falls just shy of the Core i3-5010U processor, but handily beats the Intel N2820 and the older Tegra K1. Another test the Tegra X1 is just behind both Intel processors, so it looks like the SoC/low-power segment is right where the Tegra X1 is aimed at. When you jump up to more powerful processors, including desktop numbers, the Tegra X1 is still just behind the i3-5010U, but ahead of the Core i5-4250U and the fairly recent Celeron N3050, among others.

The Tegra X1 won't be replacing a Core i5 4670K or an AMD A10-7870K anytime soon, but for an Android TV or even a Linux HTPC, it just may be worth a look. You can check out the full numbers at the source below.

Source: Phoronix

Back to original news post

• 2 weeks later...