Get Your Windows 10 Copy Now; Internet Could Break from Traffic

bp9801

news39082_1-windows_10_can_be_downloaded

Windows 10 isn't officially available until tomorrow at 10am EST, but there is a way to get it now, even if you aren't part of the Windows Insiders program. A redditor found a way to jumpstart the Windows 10 installation process, and while it isn't a guarantee to work for everyone, could be a nice thing to do if you absolutely cannot wait for Windows 10. Anyone who has reserved the new OS should have a folder on their primary drive called $Windows.~BT, which may be hidden unless you're set to view hidden folders already. This folder is probably taking up about 6GB or so of space on your drive, and is why your hard drive space suddenly shrunk. Well, if you want to get that space cleared up and begin using Windows 10 right now, run the Command Prompt as an administrator and type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" on the line, and then hit Enter. Windows 10 should begin downloading the rest of the way, and then you can either install it right away or wait until a later time.

Now, there are some issues with this, as some redditors are getting an error code or the download doesn't begin, or the folder just simply deletes itself without going through the download/install. So, some risks, and it may not work for everybody. But for those who simply just cannot wait until 10am EST tomorrow, this is for you.

One other problem is that Microsoft's servers are being absolutely slammed by traffic, with somewhere around 10Tb/s of data used up on its Content Delivery Networks (CDN). Microsoft apparently reserved 40Tb/s of capacity from the third-party CDNs, and if a fourth of that is already gone, well, maybe some seeders would be a good idea. If your download is slow and nothing else is, now you know why.

Sources: Reddit and StreamingMediaBlog

Back to original news post

I just started the update on a spare laptop to see how the process goes so we'll see what happens. (As a side note after a reboot this PC offered the update without any hoops to jump through)

Edited by cchalogamer

I'm going to try it for a while on one of my computers, and see how it holds up. The only real benefit I see over Windows 7 is for DirectX 12, but there aren't any games worth playing that supports DirectX 12 right now, so what's the point?

Also, real-world performance tests already show that Windows 10 is slightly slower than Windows 7 as far as game performance. General tasks, however, are slightly faster.

Plus, a whole bunch of driver updates, software updates, etc. to worry about, much less bugs that need sorting out. I'm not testing for Microsoft while not getting paid for it.

I'm going to need to get one of my computers on 10 right away as everybody I know will probably expect me to already know everything about it.

The faits have chosen my laptop to be the crash test dummy (turned it on and it started downloading windows 10)

Interestingly enough it took till today for my desktop to even show the icon on the task bar.

Here is wishing I didn't make the jump. my Permissions are screwed up on the OS so I cannot use Intel ETU.... DAMNIT.

Waiting to contact Tech support to figure out how to change permissions.

One advantage to having both a laptop and desktop. Updated the laptop this morning and have been able to mess around with it today. Most things work fine, but one piece of software, OBS, does have problems. Hopefully those issues will be fixed soon because I use OBS too much on my desktop to be able to got to 10 without it. At least there are no killer-apps yet that require I update that machine.

However, I did run the 3DMark feature test that measures draw calls. Prior to updating (so on Win 8.1) my laptop scored around 240,000 draw calls per second, on DX11. On Windows 10, DX11 draw calls increased to 345,000 per second (not sure why they jumped that much), but DX12 hit 1,361,585 draw calls per second. Almost quadrupled!

Also, Minecraft for Windows 10 is kind of neat, if only because I can turn the render distance up all the way on an i5-4400U. Looking forward to how that develops, if only to see the potential of Minecraft in C++ instead of Java.