X99-A 1801 BIOS & "New" Voltage Requirements?

Howdy there,

So after coming to the sad conclusion that my 5820k just isn't' cooperative with core clock rates above 4.5Ghz, and Cache clock rates of ~4.2/4.3Ghz. And this regardless of whatever voltage settings I try. In a quick test attempt, I even tried 1.4 and 1.420 without any success in forms of stability.

So then I decided to just fine down tune the voltages to what I need for it to stay stable and get cooler temps, longer life, etc.

Prior to the 1801 Bios update, I really needed at least 1.3V on the core to get 4.5Ghz stable. To my surprise, with the bios update it's now stable at 1.280v. In full load benchmarks it does sometimes peaks to 1.296v, but in everyday usage and gaming 1.280v seems pretty solid.

Then I wondered how low could the cache clock go, for now I'm keeping it at 3.5Ghz for testing/stability purposes. And I'm shocked that a 0.990v the cache is stable as a rock...

From these findings I found it pretty clear that my chip isn't a big winner in terms of OC headroom above 4.5Ghz. Considering how low I managed to drop the voltages and keep it stable at 4.5Ghz. :(

For those who are curious or interested, I'll post my final results in my quest for 'low voltage'.

Cheers,

CPU X 45

CAC X 40

VCore = 1.280

CCore = 1.100

Super Stable! I'm sure I can still shave off some voltage from the cache clock. This is doing wonders for my load temps! Used to shave close to 80 in benchmarks, now there is just one a-hole core that goes to 75 at times, but the rest stay below 70. And in gaming it barely goes above 50 now...

I'm impressed by this bios update. I was 2  behind and two of them mentioned 'stability improvements'. They weren't kidding.

Usually dropping memory frequency or Cache ring ratio can get you a bit higher on base core clock. 

Is the cache 'ring' ratio just another name for it? I see it called that at times.

And yeah, when I find the sweet spot of lower voltages for the cache clock at 4.0ghz, I wanted to see if maybe 4.6Ghz on the core can be done. Also wanted to run some benchmarks of 3.5Ghz vs 4.0Ghz cache clock.

The thing that surprises me is that the Cache clock tends to overclock it self  before the core clock often. I really wish we could monitor the cache load.

Edited by MedievalNerd

Yeah it can't for some reason, did a few searches and it's one of the things that can't be monitored apparently. It would definitely help see it's load to assess it's overall importance. As it stands you can only track it's clock rate. :/

So yeah, apparently I was overdoing the voltages and that was leading to instability. Currently back up to 46 Core and 42 Cache. Vcore 1.344 Vcache 1.185.

I'm taking baby steps for the tests so it's literally taking forever. But I'm sure I can squeeze a bit more cache clock. Maybe 43. 

But as I read in some post somewhere, the person pointed out that pas 4.0 cache and 4.5 core the voltage increments required for each additional multiplier increases exponentially. From what I also read anything above the upper part of 1.3 volts is not that great for the chip's lifespan.

Thanks for suggesting lowering the cache clock btw, that lead me to experiemnting with lower voltages which lead to better results. Darn. :)

• 1 month later...

Howdy there,

So after coming to the sad conclusion that my 5820k just isn't' cooperative with core clock rates above 4.5Ghz, and Cache clock rates of ~4.2/4.3Ghz. And this regardless of whatever voltage settings I try. In a quick test attempt, I even tried 1.4 and 1.420 without any success in forms of stability.

So then I decided to just fine down tune the voltages to what I need for it to stay stable and get cooler temps, longer life, etc.

Prior to the 1801 Bios update, I really needed at least 1.3V on the core to get 4.5Ghz stable. To my surprise, with the bios update it's now stable at 1.280v. In full load benchmarks it does sometimes peaks to 1.296v, but in everyday usage and gaming 1.280v seems pretty solid.

Then I wondered how low could the cache clock go, for now I'm keeping it at 3.5Ghz for testing/stability purposes. And I'm shocked that a 0.990v the cache is stable as a rock...

From these findings I found it pretty clear that my chip isn't a big winner in terms of OC headroom above 4.5Ghz. Considering how low I managed to drop the voltages and keep it stable at 4.5Ghz. :(

For those who are curious or interested, I'll post my final results in my quest for 'low voltage'.

Cheers,

Hello i have a big issue whit my Asus X99A after updating to the latest bios!

i haven't touch any kind of OC stuff in bios or asus ai suite, maybe just edit some speed of the fans in ai suite, But all of them are now default after finally Un-install it and throw it away!  i re flashed back to bios version   1402 from 1801

and i had allot of q-code errors on my motherboard like FB / AD but them seems to be gone so now it says AA, after disable and re enable Fastboot in bios!..

and now to the question! :)

do i need to configure RAM and Voltage in bios after a re flash and reseting cmos? if so, how and witch values do i need to set?

i have faced some weird freezings in games like GTAV a real RAM eater, but the awkward thing is that when i was on 8.1 i run the game at 4k whit 4x-MSAA whit no Lags and Freezes and some times the screen getting some weird artifacts!

because i ask it's just to clear out that if it causing by some settings that be needed in bios!

My spec

Intel Haswell Hexacore i7 5820

Crucial 16gb system RAM

HDD's

KINGSTON 240 GB SSD

then 3 Seagate non SSD disk's

(Running them all Under SATA III ACHI Mode)

Graphic Card MSI GTX 980 4GB (Highest Forc ware clock Level #4 GPU: 540 MHz, Minne: 3505 MHz)

okay where in bios do i enable XMP profile?

Edited by Elajits

You can run at the defaults if you want but at the least I would apply the XMP profile for your memory. ASUS Auto rules are usually pretty spot on if you just want to set the XMP profile and go. I did not have a single issues running a 5960X and 2800Mhz memory on that board. 

You can run at the defaults if you want but at the least I would apply the XMP profile for your memory. ASUS Auto rules are usually pretty spot on if you just want to set the XMP profile and go. I did not have a single issues running a 5960X and 2800Mhz memory on that board. 

Okay but my XMP are disable and how do i enable it i am pretty new at asus Motherboards!

and when i try enable it it falls back to disable :)

Edited by Elajits

Okay but my XMP are disable and how do i enable it i am pretty new at asus Motherboards!

and when i try enable it it falls back to disable :)

What do you mean it 'falls back' to disable. The setting is greyed out? Or you mean that even if you save & reboot, if you check your bios it's still set to disabled?

Check your MB manual, you might have to toggle a switch on it to enable XMP profiles. Some MB have TPU & XMP switches.

EDIT: I just saw you have the same MB as I do. lol, yes you have both TPU & XMP switches on your board. And by default your XMP profiles are disabled (was so on mine). So check your manual to see where it's located, and set it accordingly.

X99-A is a great motherboard! I miss the thermal armor of my P67 Sabertooth, but life is hard like that!

Edited by MedievalNerd