No updates for W7 SP1 64-bit

Braegnok

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 64-bit OEM,.. and I always do the updates first thing,..

well I hit check for updates and there are none available   :wacko: WTH,..  generally at least 200 recommended updates and a handful of other BS updates to load,..

all I get when clicking check for updates is a message no updates available, Windows 10 upgrade reserved.

I was running W10 preview because it was free,.. but all the issues and hell trying to use computer proved to be not worth the free price.

So be carful if you are running W10 preview and decide it is not your cup of tea,.. if you decide to wipe & reload new W7 SP1 OEM you will want to change your E-Mail address.

Edit : Turns out I was able to Cancel my reservation for W10 by right clicking on app and view reservation status ,..  then uninstall & hide Windows update KB3035583 to remove W10 reservation app.

Edited by Braegnok

Wow, that is a handy piece of information.  I also reserved free W10 upgrades for all my PCs at home.  Fortunately I haven't had to do a clean install of W7 lately or I might be in the same boat at you.  As of now, all of my pre-existing installations of W7 are still getting regular updates.

hmm I had a simliar problem yesterday. I updated to SP1 (since my disc is from 2009) and after the SP1 update. it just saying looking for updates forever. never stops looking. I left it overnight. So maybe It doesn't have any updates either.

I had a problem activating my new OEM win7, and wound up using MS help desk because the Googled helps all failed.

In the past, all those updates would be about 30% fail. When MS used remote assistance every update was installed properly.

I was talked into $120 for 12 months backup or help called Assure. It might come in handy when 10 is handed out. It covers my son's computer to.

Getting to the point, I think MS is using any means available to push 10.

I've been lucky, I'm signed up for w 10 but I still have no problem getting updates for w7. Now that I tried w 10 on my vm I'll probably just stay with w7, seems some of my programs have issues with 10.

hmm I wonder if after July 29th when you get e-mail to upgrade to free W10,.. does the reserved free install transform your current COA into a W10 COA.

Edited by Braegnok

I would prefer to keep my W7 SP1 disk & COA intact,.. and just buy W10,.. so I can wipe and reload either OS any time.

Lets see what Gabe says,.. I just sent in question to insiders forum,.. I'm betting after free W10 upgrade your W7 COA is no longer valid for W7 install.

Edit :

I got reply's from Windows 10 Insiders forum,.. "Final distribution and acquisition methods have not been determined for Windows 10 free upgrade product codes". 

Several techs chimed in with reply's,..  none gave a clear answer about getting new Product code/COA with W10 upgrade,.. or if your current OS Product code is transferred.

I guess we will all find out in two weeks,.. :popcorn:

Edited by Braegnok

I noticed something interesting after cleaning out my Windows 7 Pro update download folder and resetting the update history.

I re-scanned for updates (which took a while) and eventually the Update app finished and said something to the effect of "Congratulations; you have reserved your upgrade copy of Windows 10.  That would make sense because I did indeed sign up for the free upgrade.

However, there is a little tiny bit of text below the Windows 10 update confirmation that says something to the effect of "See other available updates".  I've missed that one before.....  After clicking on that I could see other updates that were available for my Windows 7 installation.

Wish I had grabbed a screenshot, but it is in the top left hand corner after running the Windows Update tool.

I noticed something interesting after cleaning out my Windows 7 Pro update download folder and resetting the update history.

I re-scanned for updates (which took a while) and eventually the Update app finished and said something to the effect of "Congratulations; you have reserved your upgrade copy of Windows 10.  That would make sense because I did indeed sign up for the free upgrade.

However, there is a little tiny bit of text below the Windows 10 update confirmation that says something to the effect of "See other available updates".  I've missed that one before.....  After clicking on that I could see other updates that were available for my Windows 7 installation.

Wish I had grabbed a screenshot, but it is in the top left hand corner after running the Windows Update tool.

+1.

Not having reserved Windows 10 yet, it still asks me to upgrade when I check for updates and to actually get my updates I also need to click the little blue link Wev is talking about. Then it shows updates. OP, you probably just didn't notice the small blue "See other available updates" underneath the Windows 10 ad.

Yes,.. I must have missed the text below Windows 10 upgrade ad,.. on first check for updates,. l have since uninstalled Windows update KB3035583 thus removing the W10 upgrade icon & app.

I just found out today that after free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7,.. your Product Key is no longer valid for W7 install as COA does transfer to Windows 10 product key,.. so no dual boot or going back to Windows 7 after free upgrade.

Edited by Braegnok