I am in 3rd place now

bishop245

I am wondering why so many have stopped folding @ home. I really don't keep up with what Stanford has accomplished with the program, but I run it for the Alzheimer research mostly. Alzheimer's is a disease that runs in my family. I guess that's why I am wondering about everybody quitting, or did y'all just switch teams.

And yes I realize its summer time...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped because I couldn't get the new client set up the way I wanted. On the older client that worked in a console, I was able to configure it for each GPU and to use only so much of the CPU, so I could let it go almost all day. The newer client took away some of that control from me, such as letting me having the clients run at night as much as it wanted, but in the morning have it automatically finish off the work unit before closing. I can see how the new client is nicer for most, but it lacks functionality that was valuable to me and really made it viable for how I use my computer daily.

Actually now I also use the computer and GPUs so much, I'm not sure if I even could finish a work unit before I'd need the resources back. Still have everything on my computer though, and could easily get everything going again, but it just wouldn't work for me right now.

I tend to piase the client on my work comp a lot during the day so i understand that. My roomate like to puase it on my home desktop when he plays league of legends. He also hets griped at when he forgets to turn it back on lol. As per eoc folding stats it will be a few years before i take second place and 5+ years for first at my current rate

May have to crush your world!  :thumbsup:  :evilgrin:

That happened when my mom died in febuary. She lost the battle with Alzheimers after about 3 years or maybe 2 years in the nursing home and her birthday is july 25 she would have been 62

I stopped because almost always when I got the newest card, it just gave me errors. I know it's not about the points, but it's kinda the only thing that made me do it. So when I wouldn't get any points for 12 hours of folding, or some really low number, It seems a waste of power.

Seti for me seems so much cooler, but that also has been broken since day one of CUDA support. I still can't get it to work properly.

I would fold all day long even without points system if A) It worked... and B) I could pick what my power is going to. From what I've read, researchers submit requests which gets approved and than thrown into a Que. This could be a college project for all we know.

I quit cause I am tired of donating time and money for drug companies that will create drugs I will never be able to afford. Screw it I have done enough... FTW and its no for the win

Edited by road-runner

I understand roadrunner but for me even if it is an overpriced pill that could help undo damage from Alzheimers then i am all for it. My great grandma, grandma, mom, are now dead thanks to Alzheimers and my aunt is now in a nursing home deteriorating away. I will keep crunching away.