I'm an Idiot

So, a while ago I purchased a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 motherboard with a i5 2320 processor, to see how life was in an Intel camp. I installed the processor, heatsink etc. and it didn't work. This was just before exams, so I put it in a drawer and hid it away until I had more time.

Now exams are over, I have done a little more research and have realised there is a loading cover that is supposed to be on the processor?!? (I know, what heresy is this?!?)

So I have an issue. I have a motherboard with no loading cover. Does anyone know any way to bodge it to test if it works or will I have to buy a new cover? (Motherboard?)

Cheers :cheers:

Euro

Seems like it's replaceable from the pictures, have you looked on ebay for it? Does it help the motherboard pins make contact with the cpu contacts? If so only way I see is to apply pressure yourself but don't know if that's good for it. Was the mobo second hand? Seems weird that it came without one but it seems to be a standard component so it shouldn't be too hard to get another one.

Plenty of people here with intel to help you here :)

Somehow I managed to bend a coathanger such that it pressed down on the side of the CPU. I didn't know how much force to apply, so I applied a fair bit. Somehow it seemed to like it, so I now have a fully operable Intel rig for the first time in my life :evilgrin:

Only thing is it runs fine with 2x4GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance (in a single channel), but when adding the other two it gets stuck in a boot loop where the fans power up, lights come on etc. for 4 seconds, then the whole system powers off again and cycles. Any ideas?

About 2 years ago I built my cousin a pc with that exact same mb, a brand new one, never could get it to run in dual channel and would not boot with more than 2 sticks of ram, he didn't want to wait for a rma return so I just left it as is. I think it is a problem with some of those boards. The mb is still running fine with just 2 sticks of memory.

You could always pul it off a dead motherboard. Any socket 1155 with the im gonna guess Foxcon retention mechanism should have it. That or you could aquire another motherboard for less money and they could share it.

Well my patented retention mechanism appears to be working fine for now, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Loving the extra 0.3 it's giving me on my Windows Experience Index scores :lol:

Annoying about not being able to use the extra sticks of RAM, but hey I'm not sure I need much more than 8GB anyway...except for my e-peen of course (playing Rust has recently shortened it significantly).

Not sure how old the board is so would they accept an RMA?

Well my patented retention mechanism appears to be working fine for now, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Any pictures you could share?

I am pretty curious to how you did it :P