New to OC, need help. Thanks to all for any help!

Dron3

Hello every one and thank you for wasting your time to read/help me.

This is my 1st time trying to OC and im pretty nervous but at the same time would like to try and OC.

Here is the list of what I currently have installed on my PC (hardware)

kYPuUFz.png

Mobo: Asus Hero VI

SSD:  S510 - 128GB - ADATA

HDD: Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

CPU Cooler: Stock Fan that came with the CPU

RAM: 16GB - 1333

Thats all I think. If there is anything you guys need or if im missing something please dont hesitate to ask.

So my question is:

What do I need to do to reach 4.0GHz at least? - I play CrossFire and that game works mainly of CPU, my FPS is currently 200+ but id like to see if i can get it to go to 250+

If some one could walk me through the OC process I would really apreciate it ALLOT!

I read the "How To" but I guess im stupid or not experianced enough to understand some of the things there.

So if some one could take me step by step I would be in your debt for ever.

Again thanks to every one that took the time to read/help!

Andre

Howdy there,

Since you have an ASUS board it should be pretty straight forward. But you are running the stock fan, so you need to be pretty careful about temperatures. What are your temps looking like in the current configuration when you are at full load?

I managed to get my i7-2600k @ 4.6ghz on air, but with an NH-U14S as a cooler.

Depending on how your case ventilation and your ambient temperatures are, you might be able to OC a bit with the stock cooler. But I'd suggest in jumps of +1 to the CPU Multiplier with close monitoring of temps at each step. And not just idle temps, run something like AIDA64 and see how things are each time. If you reach 80, stop the tests. Personally the 70's is my 'danger zone' where I don't mind if my CPU jumps in there for a second, but if it's reaching overall temps that stay in the 70's+ it's pushing it IMHO.

So yeah, before trying anything monitor your temperatures with your current setup. If you get anywhere near 70 without any OC, then I'd strongly advise getting an aftermarket cooler before attempting any OC.

I just checked the temp and almost fell. At 20% the temp is 87c!!!!!

And being a dummy I tried to OC before I checked the temp.

I have no idea why it's so hot and now that I think about it the bios would not let me boot up if I restart pc it tells me pc/cpu over temp.

I'm going to try and take the heatsink off. I also have a arctic cooling freezer 13 so I'm going to remove the old thermal paste with 70% alcohol and try to use the AC-F13 after re-applying thermal paste. Also I have arctic mx-2 thermal paste.

The rig is 1yr old.

I'll post and update after I finish if it helped or not. And if it helps I will again try the OC.

I read the OC guide a few times and the bios is different so it took me some comparing and watching videos about my specific Mobo before I was confident enough to attempt. When ready I tried the auto feature that goes up to 4.6. I tried 4.2 and it failed while starting windows. Now I'm sure that it's the temp.

And when I put everything back to stock all works but gets very hot. The hottest temp while playing Crossfire was 97c.

I don't think this is normal at all.

Edited by Dron3

OK, yeah that's definitely very hot. Don't worry 'too much' because your CPU is surely undergoing heat throttling at those temps. (It downclocks to try and preserve itself)

How often to you maintain your case? IE, remove & wipe the dust covers, and blow some compressed air through your fans & Heatsinks? If never, then that's why your temps are that high. You probably have caked dust on the heat sink, and might have blocked fully/partially your intake/outake mesh/grills.

As for why it' so hot when playing your game, you mentioned that you wanted were getting around 200 FPS, if the game is CPU dependent then you are pushing however many threads used by the game to their max. If you don't use Vsync or limit the FPS, your gpu or cpu can definitely become hot because it's trying to render as many frames as possible. Don't you get massive screen tearing at 200 FPS?

If you had that cooler hanging around, why didn't you install it earlier? Stock coolers & OC don't make the best bed buddies.

Edited by MedievalNerd

Hey and thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I wasnt able to maintain the case since February since I broke my wrist and 2 weeks after the cast was removed I broke the wrist again and also fractured the elbow.

But I asked my wife and she helped me with some of the work. I removed everything and cleaned every little part of the case and all the parts. There was so much dust that it looked like a cotton layer but gray lol.

And the Heat Sink Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 I cant use it and now I remember why I didnt install it to begin with. The plastic case that bolts to the mobo is broken so it wont hold.

Also when I removed the heatsink it was all dusty compleetly covered i vacumed it and got every little speck of dust off. Also I think the Thermal Paste was not done right when I took off the heatsink there were gaps and i could see the CPU, so that is another reason why it overheated.

So after I cleaned everything and re-applied the Thermal Paste (this time I used a Credit Card and made a paper thin layer in the CPU) and reattached the HeatSink back and started the PC the Temp was not going any higher then 70c

Right now as im typing this the temp is 39c/45c/44c/41c so thats very good IMHO.

And I wrote abouve that even the BIOS Auto OC was not working before I cleaned it (it kept crashing)

After I cleaned all and turned on PC and saw the Temps were low I attempted to Auto OC again and IT WORKED! And the temps didnt even change xD....

So for now I went back to BIOS and returned everything back to Stock untill I get a new HeatSink in the 1st few days of July.

Im thinking of noctua NH-D14 as a after market HeatSink (I dont want to go with LC, afraid to have it spill and ruin everthing)

If you could recommend some other good Heat Sink thats on par or better then the Noctua NH-D14 I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks allot, I love this Forum and how helpfull you are!

And you asked about tearing at high FPS. No there is no tearing at all that I can see. The game CrossFire is made to work mostly on CPU so the GPU does almost nothing.

My wifes PC is a q8200 CPU with 8GB ram and ATI 6970 GPU and her FPS is 150 but drops to 25 some times, due to slow CPU :(. Even tho she has a good GPU that runs most games at MAX, and CrossFire is a game from 2008 but since its so CPU demanding the FPS drops ALLOT!

Edited by Dron3

Hey and thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I wasnt able to maintain the case since February since I broke my wrist and 2 weeks after the cast was removed I broke the wrist again and also fractured the elbow.

But I asked my wife and she helped me with some of the work. I removed everything and cleaned every little part of the case and all the parts. There was so much dust that it looked like a cotton layer but gray lol.

And the Heat Sink Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 I cant use it and now I remember why I didnt install it to begin with. The plastic case that bolts to the mobo is broken so it wont hold.

Also when I removed the heatsink it was all dusty compleetly covered i vacumed it and got every little speck of dust off. Also I think the Thermal Paste was not done right when I took off the heatsink there were gaps and i could see the CPU, so that is another reason why it overheated.

So after I cleaned everything and re-applied the Thermal Paste (this time I used a Credit Card and made a paper thin layer in the CPU) and reattached the HeatSink back and started the PC the Temp was not going any higher then 70c

Right now as im typing this the temp is 39c/45c/44c/41c so thats very good IMHO.

And I wrote abouve that even the BIOS Auto OC was not working before I cleaned it (it kept crashing)

After I cleaned all and turned on PC and saw the Temps were low I attempted to Auto OC again and IT WORKED! And the temps didnt even change xD....

So for now I went back to BIOS and returned everything back to Stock untill I get a new HeatSink in the 1st few days of July.

Im thinking of noctua NH-D14 as a after market HeatSink (I dont want to go with LC, afraid to have it spill and ruin everthing)

If you could recommend some other good Heat Sink thats on par or better then the Noctua NH-D14 I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks allot, I love this Forum and how helpfull you are!

And you asked about tearing at high FPS. No there is no tearing at all that I can see. The game CrossFire is made to work mostly on CPU so the GPU does almost nothing.

My wifes PC is a q8200 CPU with 8GB ram and ATI 6970 GPU and her FPS is 150 but drops to 25 some times, due to slow CPU :(. Even tho she has a good GPU that runs most games at MAX, and CrossFire is a game from 2008 but since its so CPU demanding the FPS drops ALLOT!

It's probably a game that isn't that well optimized for using multiple threads. As such the clock speed is probably the main driving factor in the FPS output. Still, is there an advantage of getting a frame rate that is above your monitor's refresh rate? Those extra frames can't be displayed, so why not run it at 60 FPS?