amd r9 fury bench leaked?

It uses compound on the stacks? Did anybody measure temps for them? Would be interesting to see the difference, guess it helps that there's only 4 things but they're small af, mustn't be producing much heat then, don't really see how it's easier to cool since it's right next to the core, expand?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bare die? That seems a bit exposed, haven't seen any reviews that took pictures of the area on a card but I guess I'll take ur word for it :P Don't see what BGA has to do with cooling, isn't the W/mm^2 higher since they're stacked and closer to the gpu, that and if the gpu is hotter it gets heat form that too? Would of thought this would be somewhat similar to the issue with ivy bridge when people were saying the smaller die was getting harder to cool

it does seem there is less packaging between the die and contact area so there is that I guess

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Bare die just like the GPU core. :)

R9-FURY-X-2-16.png

See the small rectangles around the core? That's the DRAM. Thermal density isn't too much of a problem with the dies directly attached to the active heatsink. No plastic packaging (like regular BGA chips), no thermal pads, just a bit of thermal grease.

I know I saw pics of the thing not attached to the, can't see the die tho, seems like it's covered, want to see pictures on a card from reviews or something

So no memory temp monitoring is available or what? Packaging doesn't change W/mm^s tho, just impedes heat transfer, these are stacked too, just want to see some data :/ Guess we'll see more when the air version launches or something

still don't see why its easier to cool cause its closer to the gpu tho

It looks the same on the card:

fury-x-pcb.jpg

Being close to the GPU raises the heat, sure, but the DRAM layers are thinner than paper (no, really), so their thermal conductivity is very high.

Regular GDDR is packaged inside of a plastic casing, which is then (usually) passively cooled through a thermal pad into some heatsink or backplate.

Can't see the dies from that angle unless dies are black now? Would be nice to see what power they use and how much heat is outputted, didn't see any specs or temps so far tho :/ guess it's okay so far with liquid cooling. Wonder if other sites know what heat they're outputting in that small package with the stacks

still don't see why it's easier to cool since its near the core tho :/

don't think this will go anywhere lol

The dies are the 5 "black" rectangles in the middle. They're reflective, so they look like whatever they're reflecting. The HBM is right next to the core.

The heat from the core is dissipated directly into the heatsink, being near it doesn't really affect the memory temps much. The heatsink temperature, on the other hand, does have a pretty big effect on memory temperature. On the other hand, memory is pretty resilient to high temps (most memory sits in a plastic package and is only passively cooled through thermal pads).

By core you mean the memory die and not the gpu core(original post wasn't clear on which), which is seems like >.< if so it makes sense vs the gpu core lol

Hmm don't think I'll see the specifications for the hmb stacks, the heatsink interfacing is only part of the equation