Need help with overclock RAM !

Hello . So here how it start , My ram were by default running at 1333mhz 9-9-9-24  1,5v , And i wanted to overclock up to 1866mhz and as for frequency i changed it up to 10-10-10-27  1,6v , Benchmark did show a better result but when i actually try it into game my fps were like 8-12 , unplayable . And i used to have like 60+ fps with the default ram , Then i decided to use the XMP profile and see if things get better , XMP was at 2133mhz 11-11-11-31 1,65v , And once again benchmark was better but in game same thing , very low 8-12 fps . So i just turned it back to default settings 1333mhz 9-9-9-24  1,5v and fps were back to normal . Any idea why is this happening when i try to overclock ? 

Heres my pc spec : 

Cpu i7-4770k 4.4ghz 

Ram : Team vulcan -2133 16gb     1333mhz 

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z87X-OC

GPU : Amd radeon hd 7990 6gb

SSD : Samsung ssd 840 series

Power supply : Corsair tx850

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and Welcome to OCC,.. is your 16GB kit 2X8GB,.. if so try running @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V.

sometimes smaller GB sticks overclock better than max dim size,.. like in your case a 4X4GB or 2X2GB  kit might do 2133mhz.

If you can't get 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V stable,..  try running memtest at the 1333 settings you could have some bad ram.

If the 1600 settings work I would leave it that,.. you will not see much difference in bumping it up to 1866.

Edited by Braegnok

Hello and Welcome to OCC,.. is your 16GB kit 2X8GB,.. if so try running @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V.

sometimes smaller GB sticks overclock better than max dim size,.. like in your case a 4X4GB or 2X4GB  kit might do 2133mhz.

If you can not get 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V stable,..  try running memtest at the 1333 settings you could have some bad ram.

If the 1600 settings work I would leave it that,.. you will not see much difference in bumping it up to 1866.

Hello and thanks ! My ram is indeed 2x8gb , As for memtest i did run one before overclock , and also re-run after the first attempt to 1866 without any errors , Problem was only in game fps , Something that i just noticed is that now that i have changed everything back to default my pc freeze when i try to run prime95 or when i enter a game ,any idea why ?

Is your processor at default also,.. or OC to 4.4

Try setting "everything" at default,.. and see if it is stable at default,.. sounds like your running vary hot.

what type cooler do you have on your CPU.

Edited by Braegnok

My cpu still at 4.4  1.2v  , as for cooler its a watercooling , 

Cpu been running like for about a week now ( since overclocked ) and no issues .

Freeze started today after the ram overclock . I get a blue screen with error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR , it only happens now when i run prime95 or enter a game , while on desktop is ok

So everything is fine at default settings and you only have issues when your overclocked.

No ,Right now i am on default RAM settings and still get freeze...  my pc freeze when i run a game or prime95 . At first while overclocked there was the fps issue , and once i decided to go back to default ram settings , pc freezes everytime i enter a game or run prime95 with this error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, 

What can i do to fix it now ?

Edited by lolita1023

Set you rig at default settings including your CPU and see if your stable when you inter a game or run prime95.

if you are stable at default settings compare your overclock settings to Horny cows 4770 guide listed in the guides, to see if you missed something.

Set you rig at default settings including your CPU and see if your stable when you inter a game or run prime95.

if you are stable at default settings compare your overclock settings to Horny cows 4770 guide listed in the guides, to see if you missed something.

Ok i have now set everything back to default , i will report back in a few minutes whether still freezes or not

I am running prime 95 for about 20 minutes now and no freeze yet , usually it freezed at 5-10 mins , I think i will let it run all night and see how it goes , if no issues , i will post again tomorrow , if there is issue , i will report before that . Also you think if i run prime all night with no issues , will it be ok to overclock cpu again to 4,4 ? And not touch ram .

As for the guide you mention , thats the one ive used to overclock my cpu , and it worked fine for a week as i said , but today after the ram overclock the crush happens . 

So far so good , 45 mins and keep on going , and no crush !!!!! I feel so much relieve now , i thought i broke a component . 

Edited by lolita1023

Sounds like your good,.. so go ahead and click on the Guides tab on top of the page,.. and then hornycows overclocking 4770 guide.

take your time and read through the whole guide,.. then start applying the settings slowly,.. and run prime95 when you get a nice stable 4.4 to see if you need to adjust anything,.. if you have any issues just post back and someone will help you. :thumbsup:

bump your CPU Vcore up a tiny bit from the 1.2V @ 4.4Ghz,..  if you start crashing when you run prime95 till she is stable

Edited by Braegnok