8 pin cpu power splitter

ok so i have a evga 600b it only has one 8 pin cpu power plug and i am using an evga z87 classified which can use

2 x 8 pin.

i have notice very limited increase in performance from my 4690k stock vs 4.5ghz  and cant help but wonder if this my be the issue 

1. is a 8 pin splitter safe 

2. should i just buy a proper psu to power all my hardware 

If your overclock is stable at 4.5GHz (stress tested etc) and you aren't experiencing any problems then a "proper" power supply may not improve things?

You are probably borderline on the power supply with SLI & overclock.

• Like 1

If your overclock is stable at 4.5GHz (stress tested etc) and you aren't experiencing any problems then a "proper" power supply may not improve things?

You are probably borderline on the power supply with SLI & overclock.

the issue is through benchmarks gaming and synthetic i see little to now increase plus in widows and all benchmarks always reports it a 3.5 no matter what i do

i just reviewed the amp requirements for the 660 ti is 24 amp per card

and my psu only has 49 so it wouldn't to upgrade

i had a previous rig with a 2600k @ 4.8ghz and 2 x evga 660 ti's and in synthetic benchmarks like 3dmark 11

was P16000 with the 2600k and p12500  with my current setup 

i didn't think the 4690k was that far behind the 2600k 

The 4690K is 4 cores no HT 4 threads 

The 2600K is 4 cores plus HT for 8 threads instead of 4 with the 4690K

The performance score in 3D11 is still impacted by the CPU.  

but by 28% it makes me seriously regret selling my 2600k :wallbash:  

It's just a synthetic test. Look at the gaming score, not the CPU score.

thats the problem i have and i see little to no benefit in overclocking  

i was thinking 4690k @ 4.5ghz with 1.28v and two 660 ti's is at the limit of this evga 600b 

Edited by jdm_freek

Close on the power capacity but you ran a less efficient chip in your previous system so power is not your major problem. In 3DMark you will not out perform your 2600K scores in the performance test. Try running at the Extreme preset where CPU performance is much less a factor.    

When playing a game and you measure the FPS how does it fare?  The PSU is not going to magically make the system perform better.  

Close on the power capacity but you ran a less efficient chip in your previous system so power is not your major problem. In 3DMark you will not out perform your 2600K scores in the performance test. Try running at the Extreme preset where CPU performance is much less a factor.    

When playing a game and you measure the FPS how does it fare?  The PSU is not going to magically make the system perform better.  

i forgot to mention i had a 1000w thermaltake psu and in game there is no difference either way fps is the same

Edited by jdm_freek

i forgot to mention i had a 1000w thermaltake psu and in game there is no difference either way fps is the same

No power supply will ever change your performance for anything.