What computer stuff are you working on now?

El_Capitan

I've recently finished setting up my dedicated video/music/sound mixing and editing machine. That will leave my i7 980X and QUADRO 6000 machine as my dedicated photo editing machine. I had to wait to work on my photos when my finished videos were being encoded, but now, I no longer have to do that. I also have 8 WD Red NAS 3TB HDD's in RAID 10, it will be my second storage server to back up my main storage server, but will also need to hold onto all my RAW images and videos, not just my finished videos. That should clear up some space on my main computer, my server, and on my dedicated photo editing machine.

The dedicated video/music/sound mixing and editing machine will have an i7 3930K and a RIVE motherboard with waterblocks. I used a Rajintek Triton I got for $65 to cool it. However, I replaced the 120.2 radiator with a thick 140.2 radiator, and modded and added tubing to also cool the motherboard. I aim to use another Rajintek Triton with the spare 120.2 radiator to cool something else. With graphics cards being more efficient and quiet (*cough* except AMD), there really isn't a need to watercool graphics cards these days, and two thin 120.2 radiators should be enough to cool any CPU out there (after delidding for those non-soldered IHS's).

Another thing I tested out was using SATA, mSATA, and M.2 SSD's with USB 3.0 connectors. mSATA is the way to go right now, especially since they're smaller than similar capacity M.2 SSD's (these things get long). Also, the faster M.2 SSD's are limited by USB 3.0 bandwidth, anyway (maybe even USB 3.1 bandwidth). However, to get the full use of the SSD speeds, I've ordered some USB 3.1 PCI Express Host Cards to see how that goes. Transferring large amounts of files over a 1Gbit network can be really slow. Having 10Gbit USB 3.1 SSD's to write to and from different machines can save hours, while also not congesting my network.

Edited by El_Capitan

Not exactly computer stuff, but in the electronics realm. Bought a few projects for my new soldering station. Still waiting for them to arrive, but it should be a fun time.

8x8x8 LED Cube - Not my video, but same kit
DIY Bottlehead Crack OTL Tube Amp + Speedball Upgrade
Nixie Tube Clock + Weston 433 Voltmeter = Similar ones

I've been pretty busy with work stuff even at home. Big deployment next week with ~5 PB of SMR disk for the next open archive. Backed by tape, "just in case". :P

Just little jobs here and there, might have to do a bake job on a friend's Pavilion G7 laptop though. It looks like it's GPU/motherboard is dead or in need of some heat treatment.

I see a lot of DIY headphone amps these days.

Waco, how well do the SMR disks hold up in RAID? I read this from StorageReview:

StorageReview strongly recommends against such usage, as at this time SMR drives are not designed to cope with sustained write behavior. Many contend that NAS shares tend to be very read-focused during normal operation. While that's true, the exception is when a drive fails and a RAID rebuild has to occur. In this case the results clearly show that this implementation of SMR is not a good fit for RAID.

Dynamic load adjustment. If we have to do a resilver, we can throttle or totally block writes to that particular volume.

I've tested them thoroughly, SMR drives can sustain reasonable throughput under a write load IF you use a good workload.

Outside of work nothing.  Unless you count refurbishing Gameboy Advances.  Started out just restoring one so I could play everything from original gameboy games all the way to 3DS games on two systems.  But it turns out there's still a pretty decent market for these things so I've been restoring them when I can find a scratched up one cheap enough.

123345346.jpg

123478576.jpg

123457656858.jpg

1235675856.jpg

Dynamic load adjustment. If we have to do a resilver, we can throttle or totally block writes to that particular volume.

I've tested them thoroughly, SMR drives can sustain reasonable throughput under a write load IF you use a good workload.

Ah, that's what I'm seeing more of these days. The company I work for uses it for their databases, it's pretty nice. Well beyond my current knowledge about setting those up, lol.

Outside of work nothing.  Unless you count refurbishing Gameboy Advances.  Started out just restoring one so I could play everything from original gameboy games all the way to 3DS games on two systems.  But it turns out there's still a pretty decent market for these things so I've been restoring them when I can find a scratched up one cheap enough.

Nice, though I still have Nintendo DS Lite's for when my daughter gets old enough to play. I did setup my old HTC Sensation 4G with CM12 and Lollipop 5.0 for her. She likes to Skype and look at pictures and play music.

Outside of my work I've been playing with my 4930K to see how low I can keep the voltage with a mild OC, with this board at least anything over 4.5 for 6/5 cores, 4.6 for 3/4 and 4.7 for 1/2 is the sweet spot for it unless I really want a toaster with it and the 290X in the same PC.  

I also built a new HTPC as my fiancee was complaining that she couldn't play some of her even basic games on the J1900 based one we had so ended up with a great deal on an i5-4590, bought an ASRock H97 ITX board for it, dug around and found as Asetek 510LC CLC that only needed a mounting bracket and fan ($12 later new H50 "replacement" hardware from Amazon and a cheap sleeve bearing 120mm fan from a 4 pack I got a long time ago)  and moved over the PSU, SSD and ram (I seriously had DDR3-2400 spec ram in a J1900 system) from the old system.  Didn't have the old one in a case, haven't figured out what I want to get for this one (the cooler plus option for go full dedicated GPU for gaming has kept me debating) so it looks like this:

17727679280_0ecb8b204c_o_d.jpg

Yes I'm running an 84w TDP i5 off a PicoPSU rated for 90w with a ~70w Ac adapter. Yes you can cook an egg on the adapter after 30 mins of GRID 2, no I haven't figured out if I care to change it, and yes you are allowed to call me an idiot. So far it's doing OK, Here's a hardware monitor SS that's been open for ~4 days Just realized I still haven't changed the PC name in windows...oh well.

wmeecj.jpg