970strix / 2500k- Cold boot, urgent

ulristar

Hello guys,

here's the issue : i just bought  a 970 strix and mounted on my P67Sabertooth + 2500k. 

I encountered an issue during cold boot : artifacts instead of the motherboard logo. The bios hadn't been flashed since 2011 so i did and the problem went away. Only now, i have a new one; slight, but i don't know if it's an RMA motive or not:

The motherboard logo still doesn't show on cold boot, i have black screen until windows 8 logo. 

To be noted: i still see one screen where it shows the Hdd/ssd detection before the usual motherboard logo.

The video card in itself presents no issue when on windows/in game/benchmarks/temps. I have it occed to 1400mhz/7800memory clock with 68degrees max. No artifacts at all, all smooth.. 3d mark is at 10k (firestrike), valley extreme hd (2K9)..

When i reboot, the logo comes back instantly. So.. i thought it might be a compatibility issue (slight).

My rma period is short (5 days left)

So, what are your thoughts on that cold boot weirdness?

Edited by ulristar

That is probably a bug in the new bios you flashed to, my gigabyte board has been doing the same for a year now, sometimes it shows the gigabyte screen before windows most times it just shows it loading devices and then goes right to windows screen, as long as you have no problem getting into bios I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to OCC !

I know some bioses allow you to disable the logo but also maybe you have quick boot or something enabled. Do you have a different graphics card to test?? Maybe that one is unable to display video in its lower level bios like most cards should, I'll have to see if my 970 shows my POST screen when I restart later and let you know since our systems are similar

The weird thing was the artifacts instead of the logo before Bios update. Now the black screen is specific to MB logo on cold boot (windows logo always shows). Well, with my old 680, the logo always shows up, cold boot or not.. so its a bit weird still, its slight; yet, i found an answer nowhere else so i think it s interesting to look into it. 

Btw  : no quick boot, though i have ssd and i never unchecked the show logo in Uefi

Edited by ulristar

That sounds like maybe the video card isn't able to function in it's low level video output? Do you have youe 680 still to test? Or maybe default all your settings in the bios?

Can you get into the bios ok?

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I've seen this with PCIe 3 cards in PCIe 2 boards before. Sometimes you just have to deal with it.

This sounds logical...but the GTX 680 is also a PCI-E 3.0 card...also I just re-enabled the full screen logo on my bios and it showed up perfectly but I guess that's because my board is a Z68 an his is a P67 and for some reason his bios isn't initiating the video card's low level output?

I'd say not worry though unless you can't get into the bios...one final test would be to have it wait until you press ESC at the POST report (if you have this option because my bios gives me it when I disable the full screen logo). If it's a black screen for ever then just set it back to a certain time out and call it a "loss" and just live with it.

Indeed, Pcie 3.0 compatibility (slight) makes sense. This morning's cold boot didn't even detect the card, the bios was rendering in like 1024*768. I rebooted and it instantly gets perfect. 

I'll try mounting the 970 in  another system at a store to test it; but i m fairly confident it ll be useless. The card works so well i mean..no coil whine, dead silent, oc without a single noise or temp rise..

Edited by ulristar