AMD R9 390X to have "8GB" 8-Hi-Hi memory

Not the typical 8GB memory. More details here:

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-390x-fiji-xt-8-hi-8gb-hbm/

This means not until the next graphics card line-up (i.e., 400X or whatever it will be called), will actually have HBM2. So, no 32GB VRAM graphics cards for now. :P

Yeah, though it does let us know how they can get 8GB using HBM1. It looks like right now, it will compete with the GTX 980 Ti (6GB) as far as VRAM capacity goes. I wonder how the overall performance will be. Most likely GTX 980 performance, but with twice the VRAM, since the R9 290X was pretty on par with the GTX 780, but slightly ahead for 4K resolution gaming.

• Like 1

HBM memory is a game changer. It should make a massive difference in performance even at the same VRAM level.

I hope some OEM makes a GDDR based card so we can compare them directly. :P

I'm interested to see AMD's new card, but I don't know if I'll be able to switch from NVIDIA.

I guess I've been spoiled with :
1. Game-ready drivers on most big release dates.
2. Support for Adaptive V-Sync via the NVCP instead of needing to use a third party app (RadeonPro) that is no longer being updated. 
3. Implementing FXAA per game via the NVCP instead of needing to use a third party app (RadeonPro) that is no longer being updated. 

4. More DSR options than AMD (1.20x and 1.50x).

5. TXAA*
6. Advanced PhysX*

7. Hairworks and Fur*

8. Godrays* 

9. HBAO+* 

10. PCSS*
*which are all optimized for NVIDIA

But if AMD comes in faster and cheaper, then that is a big plus.

I'm hoping we get to see 16nm/20nm(whatever die shrink they can get working) eventually, we've been stuck on 28nm for 3.5 years now. 

I'm hoping we get to see 16nm/20nm(whatever die shrink they can get working) eventually, we've been stuck on 28nm for 3.5 years now. 

And probably will be until next year, at least.

I'm interested to see AMD's new card, but I don't know if I'll be able to switch from NVIDIA.

I guess I've been spoiled with :

1. Game-ready drivers on most big release dates.

2. Support for Adaptive V-Sync via the NVCP instead of needing to use a third party app (RadeonPro) that is no longer being updated. 

3. Implementing FXAA per game via the NVCP instead of needing to use a third party app (RadeonPro) that is no longer being updated. 

4. More DSR options than AMD (1.20x and 1.50x).

5. TXAA*

6. Advanced PhysX*

7. Hairworks and Fur*

8. Godrays* 

9. HBAO+* 

10. PCSS*

*which are all optimized for NVIDIA

But if AMD comes in faster and cheaper, then that is a big plus.

On top of what you mentioned:

Nvidia Inspector is the only thing i need, and is the sole reason i am keepng NVIDIA as a videocard vendor in my machine.No matter how good a card AMD releases. I just cannot live without all those glorious options NVIDIA gives, this includes custom resolution (50hz is not possible on AMD cards for example) and native DSR on all cards, not just the high-end ones. Something AMD still doesn't have (4 years ago, this was already possible on NVIDIA cards),

The new High Bandwidth Memory will drastically reduce power consumption and heat as well as drive clock speeds up,.. performance is going to be amazing in 2016 with HBM2 replacing GDDR5 as the standard graphics memory. 

Edited by Braegnok

Nyt is still a true fanboy. :lol:

I've used cards from both companies though.

From ATI/AMD I've used : 5770, 5850, 5870, 5970, 5970+5870, 6870, 6970, 6970 CF, 7970(twice), 7970 CF and 7990.

From NVIDIA I've used : 8600GT, 9800GT, GTX260, GTX470, GTX480, GTX560, GTX560 SLI, GTX580, GTX580 SLI, GTX670, GTX690, GTX780Ti and a GTX980.

And most of the time, I enjoyed the green cards cards more than the red ones. So it's personal preference I suppose, definitely not blinded loyalty.