How do you test a PSU?

The only mb's that will run the 2600 is the 1155 socket, so if you don't want his old one you might have to do some digging around. If it's not the k model you won't be doing much oc'ing so any decent mb should do the trick. It wouldn't hurt to try his old board, you'd still get a good performance boost.

And efficiency!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has a real shitty motherboard disc. Asus is usually good there. But none are perfect.

ATMO I'm running OCCT but I don't really know how to read the action. Maybe it will give me a report at the end.

The temps for the CPU are up to 77 degrees Celcius. Ambient is 22. But zero errors. I guess that's how to read the results.

And I'm not sure of the 2600 being K or not. Gonna check with Dan.

Found out it is only a 2600.

How can I overclock it?

Edited by Cespenar

What do you mean shitty motherboard disc?

If it's a non-K, there's little you can do. Just see how high you can get the bclock to budge and adjust the multiplier lower while you do then calculate the highest stable clock you can get with the max multiplier you have available to you.

Those temps seem high for stock. Is that the intel stock cooler?

Edited by IVIYTH0S

The mobo disk: I can't really understand all the folders and contents in the CD. aiwi, IRST_SW, Lucid, SBA, SmatDualLan ( which did nothing. It was Smat. Not Smart) IFX, iRST, iMSM. See what I mean? And these are only a few of the folders and files.

LanOptimizer (Which was incompatible. So why add it?)

Compare it with my Asus disk and I have a smaller number of folders and they seem to tell you exactly what they are. Only about 6.

The cooler is stock intel. If I were to use it I'd water it down a bit. But also, if I use the CPU and mobo (I did a thorough search on Australian sites last night, and all the socket 1155 links took me to 1150 mobo's)

And I will be stuck behind future strength so I probably wouldn't water it. Another but .... I could try to sell the CPU cheap. And throw in the mobo and those other 8gigs of RAM.

Just download the drivers from the ASUS website, they'll be more up to date and easier to navigate.

Just get a cooler master 212+/EVO, that'd be more than enough for good temps and a nice OC. The 2600/2600K is worth it, ask me how I know!

Haha. You gotta tell me how you know!

The Gigabyte mobo cd is the one that is um, crappy.

I am thinking of selling the cpu, the gtx670ftw, the 8gig of 4 sticks and the tower. And a 350 gig HDD. Probably a bit hard to do in Australia.

Now I'm going to look up the price of some coolers in case I don't sell the CPU.

Haha. You gotta tell me how you know!

The Gigabyte mobo cd is the one that is um, crappy.

I am thinking of selling the cpu, the gtx670ftw, the 8gig of 4 sticks and the tower. And a 350 gig HDD. Probably a bit hard to do in Australia.

Now I'm going to look up the price of some coolers in case I don't sell the CPU.

Check my sig ;)

Oh, then Gigabyte's website then!

The new cooler is a small price to pay for the upgrade you'd get. Plus you could offset it if you sold your Phenom

I am going against the general advice I have received, but I'm selling most of the stuff, and I will wait a year to see what AMD might do. (Probably not much)

Then whatever is way good then I will decide on new stuff.

In case anybody is wondering why I went this way it was the Gigabyte motherboard and the fact my rig runs quite well at the moment.