How do you test a PSU?

The PSU has only thing attached is MoBo.

Is it possible to test it free standing?

Please advise all different ways to test it.

It is a Corsair HX850 about 3 years old.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paperclip the green wire to a black wire on the motherboard connector. You can google it, should come up with results. Then you either need a multimeter or something you can connect that runs on 12V, 5V, and 3V.

+1 with what Capi said, this will tell you if it is putting out any power, but you will not know if it is giving the proper power under load, the best way is in the system running a stability test like prime or aida using your multimeter , but you have to be very careful not to short out or cross the meter pins. Black wires are ground and the colored wires are 12-5 and 3 volts. If you are not sure how to do it bring it to a shop, most won't charge very much just to check it.

I have a tester like that, problem they will not show how well it is working under load which is when they will shut down.

Yup. The testers (well, every one I've seen that's reasonably priced) don't test under load. They're a good quick check to make sure the PSU won't fry your box at startup, but other than that, they're not super useful.

Real load testers are big, bulky, and expensive.

I have a tester like that, problem they will not show how well it is working under load which is when they will shut down.

Yup. The testers (well, every one I've seen that's reasonably priced) don't test under load. They're a good quick check to make sure the PSU won't fry your box at startup, but other than that, they're not super useful.

Real load testers are big, bulky, and expensive.

+1 This is why I've never gotten one. I just have a cheap multimeter I got free from the good ol' harbor and I manually test each rail at idle and load.

If he wants to test it to make sure it still works, a cheap little tester would suffice. :P For a bigger task, he'll need to have more equipment. Since there was no mention of what the testing is for, can't assume what exactly needs to be done.

My crappy harbor freight DMM saved my ass getting my PSU replaced under warranty. 11.1 volts under load. :lol:

*high-five* love my little beater meter too. I got it for christmas, I'll likely inherit my dad's Fluke when I move back into their house and start managing it for them. He never uses it, he prefers to use his multi-meter that he used to use when he worked for Xerox

If he wants to test it to make sure it still works, a cheap little tester would suffice. :P For a bigger task, he'll need to have more equipment. Since there was no mention of what the testing is for, can't assume what exactly needs to be done.

Yeah but then why not get a multimeter and be able to test load an unloaded scenarios

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hi my old faithful helpers.

There's a story there, I think. Did you get the free one out of the harbour. Seawater and all?

The PSU is working fine on all stuff. It is the one from Dan's upgrade. I can only get it tested under load by a professional I guess. I doubt if Dubbo has anything like that, but the PSU has not been tested under load, so I wont test it in my rig.

I dont want sparks or zaps.

Down the road a ways I'll get it tested properly. Cheaper that binning it.