Completely new build, or just upgrade?

Asinorum

Hey all, I built my current rig a few years ago and its been great. I haven't really had any issues with it so far. I've been considering upgrading the SSD and GPU to try and extend the life of the build. I'm just here to ask if it's worth upgrading a few parts and keeping the system, or if it's not cost effective/will bottleneck me and I should start from scratch again.

Current specs:

CPU: Core i-7 2600K
MB: P67 Asus Sabertooth
RAM: 16GB G. Skill DDR3 1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
HDD 1: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
HDD 2: WD VelociRaptor 600GB
PSU: Corsair 850TX
CASE: HAF X
CPU Cooler: H70

Edited by Asinorum

Maybe upgrade to a bigger SSD as I'm sure that 60GB is rough living with, the rest looks fine unless you're looking to improve gaming performance in which case a new graphics card would be worthwhile. The rest is A-Ok

Thanks, guys! Any suggestions for a new SSD? I've been out of the game for awhile and I'm no longer sure who makes quality SSD's. I know OCZ used to be awesome. Looking for performance on par, if not better than my current SSD (which I'm sure isn't hard considering how old it is). I would like something at least 200GB. I'm also looking to upgrade the GPU, so suggestions for both are very much appreciated! The top of my budget would be around $600 (altogether), but I'm a gamer so I'd preferably spend more money on the GPU!  :woot:

Thanks, guys! Any suggestions for a new SSD? I've been out of the game for awhile and I'm no longer sure who makes quality SSD's. I know OCZ used to be awesome. Looking for performance on par, if not better than my current SSD (which I'm sure isn't hard considering how old it is). I would like something at least 200GB. I'm also looking to upgrade the GPU, so suggestions for both are very much appreciated! The top of my budget would be around $600 (altogether), but I'm a gamer so I'd preferably spend more money on the GPU!  :woot:

OCZ was okay, not awesome. Stay away from Silicon Power, Kingston, and PNY. Not that they're necessarily bad, they just had a history of bait-and-switch tactics. Meaning, they sent in a SSD to review, which they know would get a good review, then in the retail world, switched to different (and cheaper) components without telling anyone while keeping the same naming convention.

Currently, Samsung is the leader in consumer SSD's in my opinion, but have performance issues with their EVO line that they still haven't fully fixed. Their Pro line is the best.

Crucial is probably 2nd best right now, but since Samsung is having issues with their EVO line, their MX line offers the best price-per-performance and stability. Stay away from their BX line, but you'll be okay with any of their MX line of SSD's, like the MX100, MX200, MX500, and MX550.

SanDisk is close with Samsung for prosumer SSD's with their Extreme II's, but I wouldn't pay the extra price for your needs. Their Extreme Pro's are not as good, but still pricey.

Intel kind of fell behind, but if you find any good priced 520/530/720/730, they're pretty solid.

Patriot, Mushkin, WD, and Seagate are just following the steady course, and OCZ is still around, just bought out by Toshiba.

You can find good 120GB SSD's under $50 now, 240GB's around $85, and 480GB around $160. Since you were able to get around with a 60GB SSD, I'd just go for a 120GB SSD and spend the rest of your budget on a graphics card.

I'd say any SSD will serve you well in all honesty, aim for the cheapest one you can get in the range of capacity you're interested in and you'll be more than satisfied. You'll never see a real life difference between any modern SSD

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'd say any SSD will serve you well in all honesty, aim for the cheapest one you can get in the range of capacity you're interested in and you'll be more than satisfied. You'll never see a real life difference between any modern SSD

Go ahead. You might get lucky. Get an Adata with an Indilinx controller. See how well that goes. :)

As far as a gpu, I'd go with a gtx 970 (even with the vram issue),as far as waiting for the new amd lineup imho it's all hype, it seems like all people do is wait for the new amd's just to be let down. Again, that's just my humble opinion. :no:

Go ahead. You might get lucky. Get an Adata with an Indilinx controller. See how well that goes. :)
Lol maybe if I was looking for one. I'll give any a shot, i have a 5+year old Vertex 2 and a 3+ year old Agility 3 that I run daily in my HTPC and laptop respectively. Great drives, and that's from OCZ's "bad" era. I'm careful with firmware updating and i think that has to account for the majority of drive deaths in the SSD world. I'm holding out for another 240GB Arc 100 to go free after rebate again to replace my laptop or desktop drive so my HTPC can get its capacity doubled as well as the Kingston 64GB in my PS3, my dad's arc100 is a monster. But really I'd take whatever drive in the 240-256GB range that had the best value, if i had to replace my laptop or desktop drives out of necessity.

As far as a gpu, I'd go with a gtx 970 (even with the vram issue),as far as waiting for the new amd lineup imho it's all hype, it seems like all people do is wait for the new amd's just to be let down. Again, that's just my humble opinion. :no:

The R9 290X is a hell of a value and performs similarly to the 970 just not as elegantly lol
  • Like 1

Lol maybe if I was looking for one. I'll give any a shot, i have a 5+year old Vertex 2 and a 3+ year old Agility 3 that I run daily in my HTPC and laptop respectively. Great drives, and that's from OCZ's "bad" era. I'm careful with firmware updating and i think that has to account for the majority of drive deaths in the SSD world. I'm holding out for another 240GB Arc 100 to go free after rebate again to replace my laptop or desktop drive so my HTPC can get its capacity doubled as well as the Kingston 64GB in my PS3, my dad's arc100 is a monster. But really I'd take whatever drive in the 240-256GB range that had the best value, if i had to replace my laptop or desktop drives out of necessity.

They lasted because none of them were Indilinx controllers. I have family and friends that still have their Vertex 2's and Agility 3's running. Get a SSD with an Indilinx controller!

They lasted because none of them were Indilinx controllers. I have family and friends that still have their Vertex 2's and Agility 3's running. Get a SSD with an Indilinx controller!

Lol I'll never know. I thought it was the Sandforce drives that weren't very reliable though, and the Indilinx drives were better luck for many people in the early SSD days?