New Mobo Problem

My brother just bought an Intel i5 4690K as well as a gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard as it was time to upgrade his aging processor. I was installing it for him and decided to breadboard it first to make sure everything works. Right of the bat with just the processor, mobo, HSF and PSU hooked up, the whole system would start for a fraction of a second, then turn off for about 5, and attempt to start again. My inclination is that the mother board is shorting out, and was just DOA, but is it possible that his older 700W Raidmax power supply could successfully power his current setup, but not even POST with the new one?

Did you make sure the power plug to the cpu was in and did you have at least 1 stick of memory installed ?

:)   I also noticed that was missing from his original list of installed pieces.

Did you make sure the power plug to the cpu was in and did you have at least 1 stick of memory installed ?

Yes, there is power to the cpu. I have no ram installed, that would add variables to the problem I'm trying to narrow down. I have tried it with RAM, but nothing stays on long enough for the mother board to even beep Edited by acethebear

Could also be something as simple as the CPU heatsink not properly seated.

I double checked that there were no bent pins on the cpu socket, and triple checked that the fan was seated correctly, as well as plugged in.

What surface is the test build sitting on?  Are you sure that nothing is shorting out on the backside of the board?

Raidmax is a terrible power supply, but since it was working on a previous build I think we can rule that out as long as all of the motherboard power connections have been made and the pinouts are correct.

I'd double check that.

If everything looks good from that perspective. unplug the power suppy, remove the motherboard battery, clear the cmos, install a single stick of memory in the correct DIMM slot for single channel / 1 DIMM.

Move the CMOS clear jumper, reinstall the motherboard battery, connect power supply and attempt to boot into the BIOS.

It would be really helpful to know the full hardware specs of the build..................

VGA (if discrete)

Memory, Make, Model, Speed, Size, Number of DIMMS