Leaked Details Emerge for Intel Skylake Processors

bp9801

Intel is still riding the wave of Haswell processors on the desktop side, but before long the Skylake series will launch. Today we have some new information by way of a leak concering the Intel Core i5 6600K and the Core i7 6700K. Both processors sit atop their respective lines, and both are built on the 14nm process. The Core i5 6600K apparently has a core clock of 3.5GHz with a boost clock of 3.9GHz, while the Core i7 6700K has a core clock of 4.0GHz and a boost clock of 4.2GHz. That is a fairly high core clock for the 6700K, which may limit its overclocking capabilities. Intel's Devil's Canyon processors were the same, and the i7 4790K managed to hit 4.6GHz during OCC's test, so that may be the limit on the 6700K, too.

However, both the Core i5 6600K and Core i7 6700K have a 95W TDP, which puts them above the Devil's Canyon and could help out in the overclock landscape. The 6600K is a quad-core processor without Hyper Threading, while the 6700K is a quad-core with Hyper Threading, so that distinction between the two lines remains the same. Each one also has Intel HD 5000 Graphics integrated directly on the die. The Core i5 has 6MB of L3 cache and the Core i7 has 8MB, and interestingly, both have a DDR3/DDR4 memory controller capable of 1600/2133MHz RAM. The motherboard you pick will decide which RAM it uses, so it will be interesting to see what that holds. One thing those motherboards have is a new socket, as the Skylake processors are on LGA 1151. So yes, you will need a new motherboard to take advantage of the new processors.

Now, keep in mind all of this is just rumor based on information from a leak. Intel is keeping basically everything about the Skylake processors under wraps until its big reveal date, so take the above with a grain of salt. It all sounds quite interesting, so we'll have to see how much pans out.

Source: KitGuru via WCCFtech