Memory mix?

I have 4 x 2GB Corsair sticks and  2 X 4gb Corsair sticks. Both are 1600's.

Can I use 2 x 2 and 2 x 4 in my rig?

generally yes, Usually you run into issues when overclocking. but at stock and at 1600 you shouldn't have much of an issue. just make sure the timmings and voltages are the same. if not set them to the same.

Dam it. Didn't work. I had a heap of trouble for the last few hours.

I went back to my 4 sticks @ 1600mhz.

The 4 gig sticks wanted to be 1920mhz and would not play nice. (Seems like it wanted to OC)

Just unlucky I guess.

Do I need 16 gig of ram these days or not?

Maybe I could get two sticks to match Dan's stuff.

Lab Rat 2 is right. I have a mix of 2000 and 1600.

My Gigabyte MB auto configures Bank 1 and Bank 2

Also, most mem slots are numbered 4-2-3-1 (left to right).

Most MB can not handle 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 being different speeds.

So, put the lower speed in slots 1 and 2 and the higher speed in 3 and 4.

Have you check your MB specs? Might be some help there.

Once you get the board to boot with all modules installed, get into the BIOS and manually set the frequency and primary timings for all memory modules to the same value (the slowest rated kit you have).

Check dram voltage to make sure it is correct as well.

Once you get the board to boot with all modules installed, get into the BIOS and manually set the frequency and primary timings for all memory modules to the same value (the slowest rated kit you have).

Check dram voltage to make sure it is correct as well.

+1, I would have done this before adding the sticks.

Waco, I did this but nothing worked. Would not boot properly. (Maybe my BIOS is a bit hard for me to adjust. Or most likely I don't know what I am doing as far as adjusting BIOS)

Wevspot, Comp would not boot.

AkakmanH, Lower speeds in 1 and 2. Still would not boot. And voltages? I guess I'm not cluey enough to get everything spot on.

I dare say I could have eventually got it set up with 100% knowledge, but I will now wait till I need more ram and buy relevant sticks.

The Ram is now back to my 4 sticks and Dan's Ram is put aside. Maybe I will copy his ram in the future and have four of his type. As long as I can still get it.

My games are still running pretty much flat out, so I better wait.

Thanks for your help. It gives me and others an insight into what can be done.

Waco, I did this but nothing worked. Would not boot properly. (Maybe my BIOS is a bit hard for me to adjust. Or most likely I don't know what I am doing as far as adjusting BIOS)

Wevspot, Comp would not boot.

AkakmanH, Lower speeds in 1 and 2. Still would not boot. And voltages? I guess I'm not cluey enough to get everything spot on.

I dare say I could have eventually got it set up with 100% knowledge, but I will now wait till I need more ram and buy relevant sticks.

The Ram is now back to my 4 sticks and Dan's Ram is put aside. Maybe I will copy his ram in the future and have four of his type. As long as I can still get it.

My games are still running pretty much flat out, so I better wait.

Thanks for your help. It gives me and others an insight into what can be done.

My guess - your MB won't handle it. Some just simply won't.

At least you kept trying - that's imp[ortant.........

have you tried the 2 new sticks by themseleves? I rememeber back when OCZ was making memory and I had a hell of a time getting them to just work. it's possible your motherboard just doesn't like these other sticks. In which you are still SOL but at lest you know it's not some settings issue.

I've also had problems just swaping memory compeletey and having to reset the bios and all it's settings for the other sticks to work and same happened switching back.

As AkakmanH said, I think the mobo wont handle a mix.

When Dan had probs with the old tower, we switched ram and it worked fine. (It proved his ram wasn't at fault)

But after trying both types, the probs for me started.

I fiddled with the BIOS, but no go.

Now, two things have made me think. Maybe three: Intel 99x boards want DDR4. Intel 97 boards want DDR3 but are scarce as hens teeth.

I may be able to get two more sticks of Corsair vengeance, but is it worth it? As I said, my rig runs well.

See, down the track a ways, things may change big time. The gaming platforms haven't had to change for quite a while. What happens if computing makes a quantum leap (I like scientific words. Especially the ones I don't understand) and I need an Intel rig?

Between us we have spare 8gig DDR3, a 2600K, a 6800GTX (or a 670 if I swap). And a coolermaster mid tower.

We might accumulate to much second hand stuff.