New build has Windows 7 not updating properly.

Cespenar

I built my son's new rig yesterday (oh my achin' back).

Everything seems godd, except win7 updates. The error on screen is:

Failure configuring Windows updates.

Reverting Changes.

The comp rebooted then. I left it for about an hour and shut it down.

The next message was updating windows 1 of 178 updates.

If this problem continues is there a way to get around it?

Can each update be installed manually and if so, how do you seperate the good from the bad?

FIRST google and download the microsoft update fixit tool

see if that works

sometimes windows downloads mess up

ok is this a NEW COMPUTER with bloatware, for instance MCAFEE NORTON or something else?

or is this a clean install from DVD?

IF SO, first UNINSTALL ALL 3RD PARTY VIRUS SOFTWARE (make sure you have the key to reinstall it, if not disable them all everywhere instead)

next, OPEN UP msconfig

go to services

UNCHECK EVERYTHING not microsoft, or amd or nvidia or your wifi card whatever brand

click APPLY

try to apply the updates again

afterwards, be SURE to go back into msconfig and recheck stuff and restart

I have a question. Are you running 32bit or 64bit Win7?............

After a lot of experience installing both versions, I have found is that the Win7 64bit is a lot more stable than the 32bit,

Some time back, I asked MS about this and they could not really provide an answer.

One tech said that because 64bit was developed after 32bit that the 64 bit was a more 'stable' build.

And, running 32bit apps under a 64bit install is not the problem with Win7 like it is with Win8.

Go figure.

Mine was stuck on the install part of 170 of 195 updates on win 7 pro 64 this isnt the first time i have run into this either. One thing I have noticed is certain updates dislike being installed with other updates and some need others to be updated at the same time. This is something microsoft needs to fix not us.

BP, don't know if Dan will do that. Windows runs well for him.

AkakmanH, hello again. It is win 7 64 bit SP 1.

Spike, I agree............... (after all, a perfect system puts the producers out of business. Look what happened to Packard)

Ivy, After the first failure I saw it was 178 updates. Dan said his first update was 188. So I guess 10 worked and the rest failed.

Looking it his update list he definitely had a heap of failures.

I agree with his lordship ... I mean bishop245. I asked Dan if he'd install one at a time of the failures. He seems undecided as of last night. I asked what he did during the night. He'll tell me when he gets home from work.

He did updates a few times more, and blocks seemed to work while other blocks didn't. I suggested he do the last of the failures one at a time, but I think he just kept re-updating. The problem of reverting could wipe out all updates, even successful ones, but don't know if that is correct.

I looked at my update history and I have a bunch of failures. I need to find out how to force an update.

Edited by Cespenar

I felt I should post this seperately.

I looked at my own update history and I tried to install 2 recommended failed updates.

Message was:  Both the updates are already installed on this computer.

My history says failed for 337 updates. WTF? How many updates are there supposed to be?

And see above .... are they really fails?

Any clues people? I'm confused now. But I'm not having any problems.