help needed for mobo situation.

Lol, yes and no, yes to what BP said and no to sli, just put the 680 in the top slot and the 670 in one of the lower slots and you'll be able to run a bunch of monitors. But like Wev said the 670 is a strong card and to use it for just PhysX would be a waste. If you could mod the bios of the 680 to a 670 you may be able to sli them but that only works under perfect conditions and a lot of luck. When you come to occ looking for answers we try to give all the options, good or bad.

It sounds like your son just wants a major upgrade no matter what, now that we see just how bad that hd was a new one may solve all his problems without building a whole new rig. 

Edited by SpikeSoprano

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys. It's next stop is the bin. Sad, only three years old.

Now, a question out of context, but you have all been great.

Can I use his old Evga 680 FTW with my Evga 670FTW if I want to?

No warranty left on the drive? I'm guessing not since they're usually 3 year warranties, but hard drives have gotten pretty cheap now so I'd get a new one and then copy/clone it on over ASAP.

And yeah, no go on the SLI of the 670 and 680

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Dan has already ordered his new stuff. So the cheaper option hit the wall.

I may keep playing with the 670 as it is running well and watercooled.

Because it is FTW I could put the water cooling on the 680, but definitely not yet.

Australia is quite different from USA. I tried selling a pair of watercooled or aircooled 8800gtx's but had to wind up giving them to a guy to build something for poor people.

I'm sure I could sell the 670 in America, but players here are few and far between. (Compared to USA)

What will be will be, so I thank you all for your input and help. It has been a most interesting thread.

cheers ......

Hi, Ivy, the 8800gtx's were bought approximately when they first came out. Then bought the GTX670 in June 2012.

I don't have the reciept for the 8800's but if you know when they were released you'd get a close idea. They were both watercooled, and I remember replacing the air cooler on one, and a mate got that. He's struggling, so I let him have it. I eventually gave him the other one and the water coolers.

I remember that all told the 8800's cost me about 1500 dollars. But sometimes you can't help but pay for good stuff, and then it becomes obselete.

My current 670FTW is still a high end card, so it becomes an exercise in hunger to upgrade to something slightly more powerful for muchly more dollars.