Noise? HDD or SSD?

Cespenar

I recently quietened my rig rather significently.

Now that things are quieter, I can hear a soft, deep moan coming from somewhere in the rig. (It does sound like something that spins. Like road nise from a tyre)

Seeing that all the rigs tyres are stationary I disconnected or stopped everything that spins. Except for the pump. I held that up in my hand.

I felt the hard drives and all of them are vibrating.

I have a Seagate 500 gig, a Western Gigital 1TB and a Crucial MX100.

The bottom drive is the worst, the one on top of that is about half the bottom one, and the SSD is at the top.

No activity for dinner this evening, so why are the drives vibrating????

Are the HDD's spinning continuously and making the SSD vibrate????

Does an SSD vibrate????

Okay, I think that is all I can tell you for the moment. Except my sig wont update with the new drives.

If you have a cardboard tube hold one end to your ear and get the other end as close to the component your want to listen to as you can.

Paper towel tubes work the best. And no, SSD's shouldn't make noise.

There might be multiple sources resonating to make the noise you describe, the only solution is to send me all of your liquid cooling stuff for "Long term inspection".

An SSD has no moving parts, so any noise you're hearing is most definitely not from that.

Are there any system tasks running? Defrags, backups, or anything that would utilize the HDD? Is it just a vibration and not a clicking/grinding/scraping sound? Is the hard drive cage/tray a bit flimsy and causing the vibration?

Ha ha ha de har haarrrrr ..... um .... No!

I could send you some leftovers. About 6/7 years old and T/T. Freight is 1500 aussie dollars.

Allowed HDDs to power down and the noise was gone. Definitely the HDD. No, to find out which one it is.

bp: the framework seems solid enough. A finger on the HDD is definitely giving me a clue.

Does this mean it could be on the way out? They are still short life jobs. And no .... you can't have anything for "long term inspection either!"

bp: the framework seems solid enough. A finger on the HDD is definitely giving me a clue.

Does this mean it could be on the way out? They are still short life jobs. And no .... you can't have anything for "long term inspection either!"

Try to snug-up the retention screws, they can work lose over time. No one ever wants to send me "test parts" anymore.

Are you sure it's not your power supply fan? The other quick option is temporarily unplugging your HDDs one at a time (or both at once) to narrow things down.

Yes Waco. I used a cardboard edge to stop the PSU fan and there was no difference. I did power down the HDDs from the control panel (Power Options) and the noise stopped.

Do HDDs keep spinning when you are just in idle mode. (And not using power saving) ?

And if I tighten up the retainer screws and that doesn't work, what are my options? The HDDs are not old.

Update! Retainer screws don't exist. It is a T/T case with sliding setup with plstic clips on the sides to hold things in place,

The Seagate (about 3 years old0 is plastic clipped but clip is useless and the WD 1TB is about 8 months old.

The Western digital is screwed in and tight. This morning they seem to vibrate evenly.

Edited by Cespenar

• 3 months later...