One thing I miss about older games....

Black64

I was recently playing though starcraft 2 again and I finally noticed the one thing that bugs me when I play, and it's when compared to Starcraft 1, it doesn't feel as dark and desperate. When I played Starcraft 1, I always felt scared of the next zerg attack, the formidable terrain and the darkness that surrounded my base at all times. Now the Zerg just feel so cartoon like, it takes away some of the fun of game. Now it just feels like I can safely walk though any map on SC2 unlike SC1 where I always felt like a lone general on a hostile world. The maps on SC1 always felt random and dangerous, however SC2 maps feel very predictable and layed out. Not that I am a fan of scary games, I just like the darker elements and desperate nature of the first SC1, it kept the campaign exciting and fun, to always be outnumbered and outgunned, battling the odds. It makes winning all that more fun. Lol, just a mini rant. (This would make an awesome texture mod for SC2!)

Other newer games seem suffer from this, IMHO Supreme Commander FA felt more rugged and dark then Supreme Commander 2. (for example, look at the first mission on each, you will see what I mean) Same goes for C&C 2+3 vs every C&C after.

I also think older games were darker.

I'm currently playing Delta Force: Land Warrior. Nowday is just too many cutsenes and you shook enemy and it doesnt die. This game gives you a mission. 1 hit you kill enemy. 1 hit or 2 you die. Realistic and fun game. The only bad is that is too easy even on hard. Really.. enemies have slow reaction time.

Another game I just downloaded is Venom: Codename Outbreak. This game is pretty cool and nice graphics for the date. Also it is fun and it gives you a mission and you die for few hits or kill the same way. Somehow similar to Ghost Recon. The only bad is I remember last time I tried it used to crash in misions. I'm not sure but for sure crashes during Co-Op. I hope I can make it work now.

I am also playing Doom 2. never played, only Doom 1 demo so as I am a gamer. I need to play this. It's a classic.

I finished two weeks ago. Giants: Citizen Kabuto. An old, fun and entertaining game, pretty innovative.

Are you sure it wasn't just due to the fact that we were younger and more easily immersed/scared by and now that we've matured/aged, we're more conditioned to scares and darkness that it takes more to get us?

Are you sure it wasn't just due to the fact that we were younger and more easily immersed/scared by and now that we've matured/aged, we're more conditioned to scares and darkness that it takes more to get us?

I don't think so, I played though SC1 again in January and I still felt that SC1 was darker and felt more hostile. The only map I felt reminded me of SC1 was the mission "Outbreak".

I don't think so, I played though SC1 again in January and I still felt that SC1 was darker and felt more hostile. The only map I felt reminded me of SC1 was the mission "Outbreak".

I'll have to see, I remember the sinister nature of SC1 but I haven't played SC2 yet for comparison to be honest.

Well I feel that when I play FEAR 1, 2, and 3. All of them feel so much darker than the other games and Crysis warhead too. But to be honest, FEAR 3 does not feel that much scarier than FEAR 1 and 2 did. Maybe that is because I got used to it.

Well I feel that when I play FEAR 1, 2, and 3. All of them feel so much darker than the other games and Crysis warhead too. But to be honest, FEAR 3 does not feel that much scarier than FEAR 1 and 2 did. Maybe that is because I got used to it.

I've actually been on a horror game streak, I'm playing FEAR 3 now but just finished Dead Space 2. I recommend the Dead Spaces highly if you like feeling weak haha. Only on the hardest difficulties everytime!

• Like 1

I've actually been on a horror game streak, I'm playing FEAR 3 now but just finished Dead Space 2. I recommend the Dead Spaces highly if you like feeling weak haha. Only on the hardest difficulties everytime!

It is on my list :D gonna move it to the top after I am done with prototype 2 which was interrupted by the death of the seagate :D

The big thing for me was growing up I didn't have the latest and greatest hardware/systems to game on. So games like Starcraft were the only games that would run on my PC, add a 56k modem and well... 

The biggest thing that disappoints me about newer games is how short they are. I can easily finish a campaign of one game in 3-6 hours. The games I grew up with generally seemed harder, and well longer. These days with the multi-million dollar budgets a lot of games are put on strict development timetables, and I think they sacrifice gameplay, story, and length of game for shiny graphics..

I haven't played a game in sometime that has absolutely wowed me and kept me entertained for more than a couple hours lately. I think the last games were Skyrim and the original Dragon Age Origins, those games I spent anywhere from 50-100 hours in them, well worth the $50... 

It is on my list :D gonna move it to the top after I am done with prototype 2 which was interrupted by the death of the seagate :D

Good, how are the prototype games? I've been meaning to get into them since I like the Infamous games (in which I think it'd be similar to)

The big thing for me was growing up I didn't have the latest and greatest hardware/systems to game on. So games like Starcraft were the only games that would run on my PC, add a 56k modem and well... 

The biggest thing that disappoints me about newer games is how short they are. I can easily finish a campaign of one game in 3-6 hours. The games I grew up with generally seemed harder, and well longer. These days with the multi-million dollar budgets a lot of games are put on strict development timetables, and I think they sacrifice gameplay, story, and length of game for shiny graphics..

I haven't played a game in sometime that has absolutely wowed me and kept me entertained for more than a couple hours lately. I think the last games were Skyrim and the original Dragon Age Origins, those games I spent anywhere from 50-100 hours in them, well worth the $50... 

I get more time out of games because I try to play on the highest difficulty since I must say THAT is something newer developers have done right. Sure I can die in one hit but so can the enemy so it's fair. I hated in old games when they'd just half your health but make the enemies have 400-500% health.

Also since I'm a completionist I like to do all the side stuff and go all the wrong ways first before the main direction which squeezes more time. Though I do agree newer titles are overall shorter (especially if you just blitz the main quest/objective/mission)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Good, how are the prototype games? I've been meaning to get into them since I like the Infamous games (in which I think it'd be similar to)

Prototype 2 is very nice. I did not like the first one as much as I did the 2nd one. 

I did not even complete the first one, so you can get into the 2nd one without playing the first and still you'll get what is going on. 

Same here, my first PC was P4 that I had to squeeze every last bit of power out of. Only things that ran nice was Starcraft, AOE and Star wars.