390x/gtx 980ti or r9 290 crossfire

Price/performance wise you would be flabbergasted with crossfire R9-290's and an Acer XG27OHU FreeSync monitor,.. it's not 4K but @ 2560X1440 you would have vary smooth game play for cheep,.. and save your money.

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/press/2015/152663

i was just looking at 2k monitors lol

2K would last you a lot longer than 4K with 4GB of VRAM.

Then again, if you go 2K, you might be better off with a single 390/390X or a GTX 980(Ti).

Reason? Like i said in my first comment, there could be problems regarding SLI/Crossfire and compatibility issues.

Microstutter is also still a thing with multi-GPU set-ups.

At the end of the road, it is your decision.

There are not many games with will break 4GB of VRAM usage, most of the ones that do are poor console ports like Dying Light that are very inefficient.

Don't see how that should be a reason not to go 290, especially considering how few choices there are over 4gb and NONE are anywhere near the same price range?

• Like 1

There are not many games with will break 4GB of VRAM usage, most of the ones that do are poor console ports like Dying Light that are very inefficient.

At higher resolutions, they easily break 4GB, dragon age inquisition is getting stutters with 4K with a 4GB card, just saying....

At higher resolutions, they easily break 4GB, dragon age inquisition is getting stutters with 4K with a 4GB card, just saying....

Dragon Age Inquisition is another bad PC port. It doesn't matter if you have 3 GTX Titan X 12GB's in 3-way SLI on a 4K 60Hz Monitor, hardware isn't going to fix poorly written code. PC ports have tended to lock FPS to 30 (if they can even get that high), disabled V-Sync options so that they are always on, disabled motion blur options so that they are always on, didn't utilize the latest Direct X version (or even the previous gen), limited resolution sizes, came with DRM, had missing textures, didn't have AA options.

That's only a few issues, there's plenty more things that are utterly horrible with most PC ports.

I've played games at 4K, and at 2560x1600, and I still prefer games at 1600P. I utilize a single graphics card for that. For RTS and FPS games, I play on my IPS 1440P at 110Hz with two R9 290X's in crossfire. Definitely a big difference compared to 2560x1600 at 60Hz. A lot more responsive.

Another issue with playing FPS games on a PC, if you're truly competitive playing multiplayer, you're going to lower your graphics settings, sometimes your resolution, turning off certain features, especially Field of View, depending on the FPS game, just so you gain an advantage of being able to see clearly and having less lag during certain situations. I've found myself doing this and hardly ever dying and having 40 - 60 kill streaks before dying. It's ridiculous.

Inquisition also did not handle multiple cards properly, but it supposedly should now. Haven't heard for sure, but one of the recent patches included it in there.

Either way, using it or most other PC ports is a bad idea because like Cap said, they're bad PC ports. There are always good PC ports, not as many as there should be, and plenty of good PC games built directly for the PC. Again, not as many as there were a dozen years ago, but still, those are the PC games you should be worried about. Not the ports, and especially not the bad ports.

it is settled i will pick up another 290 

Why pick up the second one now when you may sell it in a few months when the new AMD parts are out?

If he waits even longer he can get the 490 :P

Well I'm merely saying if he's already considering the R9 300 series, why not just hold out for that and see if it's the boost he's looking for. Nothing wrong with grabbing a second 290 now, but I would at least want to see what the 300 series offers before pulling the trigger.

I must have missed the part where he said that he was thinking about waiting already. It just confuses me why everyone always wants to wait for the next big thing, if I just wait and wait then when should I buy?

Inquisition also did not handle multiple cards properly, but it supposedly should now. Haven't heard for sure, but one of the recent patches included it in there.

Either way, using it or most other PC ports is a bad idea because like Cap said, they're bad PC ports. There are always good PC ports, not as many as there should be, and plenty of good PC games built directly for the PC. Again, not as many as there were a dozen years ago, but still, those are the PC games you should be worried about. Not the ports, and especially not the bad ports.

The thing is, "bad pc ports" are going to happen, more often than not.

When was the last time PC was pushed in terms of visuals with an exclusive, Crysis 1?

Those days are over, if there IS a good PC port, it is probably not visually demanding compared to the majority of games released.

Hence me recommending him a card with 6GB or more (i would assume the 390X has 6GB).