390x/gtx 980ti or r9 290 crossfire

first off let me say i do not care about  power usage , heat or multi card issues as i have never had any.

i am looking for feedback as to which will be the better performer for 4k

i already have a 290 and can pick up another for $200 

or i could sell my current card and go with with option a or b 

To really play at 4K you will need a pair of cards or minimize your texture settings to get playable frame rates. Using a single card is tough depending on the game you play and which settings and ecosystem intrigues you the most.  

As an Entry into 4K you could get away with using the second R9 290. The 390X may end up a dual GPU card anyhow so at that point you still are multi GPU.  

Two R9 290's in crossfire (if supported for the games you play), should be just about faster than a single GTX 980 Ti that will be coming out, plus a definite cheaper option. Seeing that you'll be selling your R9 290 for around $200, and willing to spend the $650 (so $850 total?), you can easily find two used GTX 980's to SLI with serial-based warranty for around $800 - $850).

Nvidia has no reason to relese a 980ti. Doing that would seriously mess up the market for top end 980's with custom PCBs that the board partners have built.

They would be shooting themselves in the foot releasing a GPU in between the 980 and the Titan and I really doubt they will.

Nvidia has no reason to relese a 980ti. Doing that would seriously mess up the market for top end 980's with custom PCBs that the board partners have built.

They would be shooting themselves in the foot releasing a GPU in between the 980 and the Titan and I really doubt they will.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Works for me, though. Lots of GTX 980's being sold for around $415.

didn't they release the 780 ti after the titan black ?

I thought it was GTX 780, GTX Titan, GTX 780 Ti, and then GTX Titan Black, then GTX Titan Z. I could be wrong, though. Someone look it up. :P

Yeah, I feel the same way. Works for me, though. Lots of GTX 980's being sold for around $415.

I thought it was GTX 780, GTX Titan, GTX 780 Ti, and then GTX Titan Black, then GTX Titan Z. I could be wrong, though. Someone look it up. :P

it is so hard to keep track lol

You are right on that one. 

it is settled i will pick up another 290 

Why pick up the second one now when you may sell it in a few months when the new AMD parts are out?

If he waits even longer he can get the 490 :P