NVIDIA Actively Working on GeForce GTX 980 Ti

gebraset

According to SweClockers, NVIDIA is currently preparing the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, a reduced version of the GM200-powered TITAN X that was released earlier this month. The Ti version of the amazingly efficient and widely popular GeForce GTX 980 is slated to feature 6GB of framebuffer and be around 10 percent faster than the TITAN X. Moreover, the GeForce GTX 980 Ti will be capable of featuring custom PCBs and cooling solutions from various manufacturers, allowing the GM200 card to offer users with even better performance as well as cooler temperatures when compared with the already available GeForce GTX 980.

NVIDIA is expected to release the GeForce GTX 980 Ti during the second half of this year, following the launch of the Radeon R9 390X by AMD.

Source: TweakTown

"GeForce GTX 980 Ti, a reduced version of the GM200-powered TITAN X" - "be around 10 percent faster than the TITAN X"

So....what is the deal here? xD

If it is a reduced version, shouldn't it be slower? :P

"Reduced" probably means instead of 12GB VRAM, there will be 6GB. It will probably have 20 SMM's (GTX 980 has 16, Titan X has 24), so less Texture Units. "10 percent faster" just means a higher default clock speed. The default Core Clock for the TItan X is 1000MHz, so the GTX 980 Ti's default Core Clock will be 1100MHz. Both cards being overclocked to 1100MHz Core Clock, the Titan X will be faster. I don't know why they would word it that way.

In any case, the launch price will probably be $759. I don't expect a drop in prices until they release the Titan X Black (or whatever they'll name it), which will probably have uncrippled FP64 performance, like the original GTX Titan and Titan Black. The GTX Titan X has 1/32 FP32 FP64 performance, which is the same as the GTX 980.

With no competition, NVIDIA has the monopoly on features and prices, unfortunately.

"GeForce GTX 980 Ti, a reduced version of the GM200-powered TITAN X" - "be around 10 percent faster than the TITAN X" So....what is the deal here? xD If it is a reduced version, shouldn't it be slower? :P

Like Cap said, reduced in this case refers to how the 980 Ti is "slated to feature 6GB of framebuffer."

Captain from what I understand the Maxwell doesn't have high FP64 in the architecture as is devoted most to FP32. Unless they make a new chip, you won't see a Titan X Black with "unlocked" FP64

Captain from what I understand the Maxwell doesn't have high FP64 in the architecture as is devoted most to FP32. Unless they make a new chip, you won't see a Titan X Black with "unlocked" FP64

Yeah, you're right, they only packed in 4 FP64 ALUs per SMM, and their "GTX Titan X Black" is their QUADRO M6000. Perplexing, but I guess they'll be incorporating better FP64 performance for "Pascal".

Now that I think of it, it does follow a pattern:

GTX 500's - Good FP64

GTX 600's - Bad FP64

GTX 700's - Good FP64

GTX 900's - Bad FP64

GTX 1000's (Pascal) - Should be good FP64

Worried about 390X they are...

i was thinking the same thing.

depending on the price i am getting the 390x i have $500 set aside but i fear it is going to be around $699

i am also wondering what will the 980 ti cost if i remember correctly the 780 ti came out after one of the titans for near  half the   price with better performance.

Worried about 390X they are...

i was thinking the same thing.

depending on the price i am getting the 390x i have $500 set aside but i fear it is going to be around $699

i am also wondering what will the 980 ti cost if i remember correctly the 780 ti came out after one of the titans for near  half the   price with better performance.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. I hope the 390X was a beastly as the 290X to lower Nvidia card pricing or just outright beat them. (lowering their price more lol)