Cities: Skylines

bp9801

I don't know how many of you already have this or even heard of it, but Cities: Skylines is a new city builder from Paradox and Colossal Order. It is pretty much everything SimCity should be, just without all the unnecessary fluff, bloat, and general idiocy.

Maps start out at 4km2, but can be expanded up to 36km2 with new additions after various population increases. Traffic is realistically presented and can be a pain to properly figure, as there will be congestion and high traffic areas as your industry builds. Pretty much any major city will have those same issues, and Cities presents it in one of the best ways of late. You can set up different districts, so you can turn an industry zone into one focused on farming or oil mining; or issue tax reliefs/increases to certain ones and not others; or turn a commercial zone into small business-friendly; or curb power usage in one; and so on and so forth.

Oh, and Cities: Skylines has mod support. There are mods to add all sorts of things, even to expand the max size from 36km2 to 100km2. Paradox does offer a hard mode mod to make things cost a bit more and make money a little tougher to come by, so if you're swimming in dough in one city, turn on hard mode. There's also an asset manager to design your own items to put in the game and/or offer on Steam Workshop, plus a map editor to make your own terrains to build in.

You can pick up Cities: Skylines for $30 or $40 for the Deluxe Edition (adds in five wonders, soundtrack, and art book). Green Man Gaming offers both at a discount through the VIP section, if you want to save a little dough.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't know about performance since I don't have that mod, will try it though when I get bored or something.

Multiplayer was fun when it worked in SimCity. It's also a bit weird to me that SimCity had stuff like recycling centres and Skylines doesn't :O And someweird stuff like a barely used cemetery(3/13 hearses) and stuff beside it get abandoned cause the bodies ain't being picked up is sorta annoying. Also miss the statistics and stuff the SimCity had 

Good news, there's a mod for a recycling center. Plus there's a tool to see the traffic routes (and maybe figure out why the cemetery isn't getting to all the places it should). An easy to access stats screen to see all sorts of figures.

Useful for when the game eats away your hours, a system clock to show in the bottom right corner. Oh, and a mod to enable achievements when using mods (otherwise you don't get the achieves). 

interesting. This might be a next "sale" for me...

Can't have more distractions right now. The sun outside is enough of one. Forced inside to study, and THEN having a game like this to take me away...BAD IDEA.

8 more weeks, 8 more weeks...the countdown begins. 

I wouldn't know about performance since I don't have that mod, will try it though when I get bored or something.

Multiplayer was fun when it worked in SimCity. It's also a bit weird to me that SimCity had stuff like recycling centres and Skylines doesn't :O And someweird stuff like a barely used cemetery(3/13 hearses) and stuff beside it get abandoned cause the bodies ain't being picked up is sorta annoying. Also miss the statistics and stuff the SimCity had 

Good news, there's a mod for a recycling center. Plus there's a tool to see the traffic routes (and maybe figure out why the cemetery isn't getting to all the places it should). An easy to access stats screen to see all sorts of figures.

Useful for when the game eats away your hours, a system clock to show in the bottom right corner. Oh, and a mod to enable achievements when using mods (otherwise you don't get the achieves). 

Not too keen on mods(for all games really) :P Might try some if these things bug me enough though, the cemetery one makes no sense at all :/ Thanks for linking the achievement one, didn't know about its existence and is a +1 for using mods for me

This game is bad for me with exams coming up soon :')

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...