need to upgrade wireless N adapter to dual band wireless N

Current wlan adapter: Name: Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B2&SUBSYS_42628086&REV_73\4&1535B61&0&00E4

Driver: n/a

I am wanting to replace it with this or similar:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-n-7260-brief.html

should I be able to just swap the units? The model numbers seem to be the same.

My reason is the fact that my apartment has 30+ 2.4 ghz AP's within range. So I need to run a 5ghz wlan. Changing the channel did not help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a difference between what you have, and what you're looking to get. What you have is the same wi-fi adapter.

Changing the channel won't help if the channel is saturated.

Sorry for the duh questions first.

1. First, what is your wireless router?

2. Are you running both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, or just one or the other?

3. Are you connecting to the 5GHz band?

Ok, now to the good stuff.

If you have a smartphone, download Netgear's Wi-Fi Analytics. It's a free app. There's some good diagnostics, and one in particular is checking the wireless channels, and how many networks are on a certain channel, and what the clarity is. Find a channel that other networks near you aren't using, and set your router to that channel. That should help.

Interesting, I didn't know they had 7260 that wasn't dual-band. At any rate, yeah, the dual-band 7260 is great, it's what I have, and IVI also has.

Until you get the new wi-fi adapter, I'd use the Netgear app to find a less congested channel.

Hey OP if you're not in a rush you could try and score one cheaper on ebay, even buy it now pricing is usually cheaper than anywhere else.

Just make sure you either get the 'AN' or 'AC' SKU unit, the AN is the dual band wireless N card (which is what I got for my dad because he didn't care for wireless AC) and obviously the other also has a wireless AC radio with all the other features of the AN.

Your card is the BN which is single band. So take care not to accidentally order one of those because they're usually very cheap and can muddy the search results.

Ok, now to the good stuff.

If you have a smartphone, download Netgear's Wi-Fi Analytics. It's a free app. There's some good diagnostics, and one in particular is checking the wireless channels, and how many networks are on a certain channel, and what the clarity is. Find a channel that other networks near you aren't using, and set your router to that channel. That should help.

I'll have to check this out but I've always used Wifi Analyzer for similar tools and have had great luck.

Interesting, I didn't know they had 7260 that wasn't dual-band. At any rate, yeah, the dual-band 7260 is great, it's what I have, and IVI also has.

Until you get the new wi-fi adapter, I'd use the Netgear app to find a less congested channel.

+1 I love my 7260-AC adapter

I was able to tune my family ASUS router to a channel that net me almost 100Mb/s on just 2.4GHz, sadly my apartment wasn't as successful since there was a ridiculous amount of 2.4GHz traffic overlapping on all the channels which pushed me to change my adapter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...