EA Shuts Down Maxis Emeryville Headquarters

bp9801

The time has come once again for Maxis, as EA has shut down the studio's Emeryville headquarters. Maxis has been moved around before, as its original Walnut Creek, California, studios were closed in 2004, with staff moving to Redwood City and Emeryville. Now the Emeryville location is closed, with all its staff being allowed to seek opportunities in other Maxis locations, namely Redwood, Salt Lake, Melbourne, and Helsinki. The Maxis Emeryville location's most recent work was the rebooted SimCity, which was met with criticism after its 2013 launch and online debacle. No word on just how many employees from Emeryville were layed off, but hopefully they can find new homes before long.

Development on SimCity, The Sims franchise, and The Sims 4 in particular will continue, however it appears some members of The Sims team will be layed off from the Redwood location.

Source: Polygon

I still play SimCity 2000 from time to time. SimCity 3000 is probably the best of the bunch. SC 4 is nice, but it still has random crashes that have never been fixed. Lot of great features and looks good, just still has issues.

I've watched SimCity 4 at a friends but I put many of my own hours into the older ones. Playing them wrong as a younger boy and just building towns with tons of borrowed money and then sicking all the disasters on them lol