favorite water cooling case

The two are not mutually exclusive. I can complain about a "best of the best" case for custom watercooling that supports a quad radiator, but it not supporting fans to be all internal, nor able to fit all 8 fans, among other features. I can also state that a quad radiator is useless because they are, and because I have 3 of them and use 2 of them in two different builds, and it's just not needed. Just because I deem them useless doesn't mean I wouldn't use them, but I will state the reason why (which I have done). Just because I have them in my builds, and that I don't necessarily like or need them, doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. If you don't like my opinions, IDGAF.

The 3770K screenshot is in this post here. It's just a single Coolgate 280 radiator with two 140mm fans in pull. The case is a Corsair Carbide Air 540, and I can't fit long cards in it, but will fit cards like GTX 970's just fine. I can complain about some issues with the Corsair Carbide Air 540, but I only spent $85 or so after MIR, so I expect there to be shortfalls with a case usually around the $125 - $150 range for custom watercooling.

I have another delidded 3770K that gets to 4.9GHz at 1.48V's, and temps get to 82C on the hottest core, and that's with a single 120.3 radiator in push/pull. I'm definitely lucky with the other 3770K. I've been meaning to switch the radiator on it to a thicker 120.3 radiator to see how it does, but I never got around to it. I don't keep it that high an overclock most of the time, anyways. I just like to have fun with some benchmarks from time to time.

I have more complaints about my MountainMods case, but I don't really care to gripe about something just to complain about it. I just wanted to give the OP some reasons, and steer him into making the best decision for himself.

That's a killer 3770k! Mine is a dud with a crazy high heat density. With my IHS held @ 15c for day to day use(still lower then any WC would do) I still hit 50c at 4.7ghz/1.4v. That is delidded with CLP under the IHS and Thermene on top. It wouldn't even boot at 4.9 at any voltage/temp... I'm definitely going pre-binned for my next build, I spent too much in cooling to risk another mediocre chip.

Carbide 540 is a good case for the money. I usually go Corsair or Bitfenix for most of my customer builds unless they have a super tight budget.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I can complain about a "best of the best" case for custom watercooling that supports a quad radiator, but it not supporting fans to be all internal, nor able to fit all 8 fans, among other features. I can also state that a quad radiator is useless because they are, and because I have 3 of them and use 2 of them in two different builds, and it's just not needed. Just because I deem them useless doesn't mean I wouldn't use them, but I will state the reason why (which I have done). Just because I have them in my builds, and that I don't necessarily like or need them, doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. If you don't like my opinions, IDGAF.

The 3770K screenshot is in this post here. It's just a single Coolgate 280 radiator with two 140mm fans in pull. The case is a Corsair Carbide Air 540, and I can't fit long cards in it, but will fit cards like GTX 970's just fine. I can complain about some issues with the Corsair Carbide Air 540, but I only spent $85 or so after MIR, so I expect there to be shortfalls with a case usually around the $125 - $150 range for custom watercooling.

I have another delidded 3770K that gets to 4.9GHz at 1.48V's, and temps get to 82C on the hottest core, and that's with a single 120.3 radiator in push/pull. I'm definitely lucky with the other 3770K. I've been meaning to switch the radiator on it to a thicker 120.3 radiator to see how it does, but I never got around to it. I don't keep it that high an overclock most of the time, anyways. I just like to have fun with some benchmarks from time to time.

I have more complaints about my MountainMods case, but I don't really care to gripe about something just to complain about it. I just wanted to give the OP some reasons, and steer him into making the best decision for himself.

That's a killer 3770k! Mine is a dud with a crazy high heat density. With my IHS held @ 15c for day to day use(still lower then any WC would do) I still hit 50c at 4.7ghz/1.4v. That is delidded with CLP under the IHS and Thermene on top. It wouldn't even boot at 4.9 at any voltage/temp... I'm definitely going pre-binned for my next build, I spent too much in cooling to risk another mediocre chip.

Carbide 540 is a good case for the money. I usually go Corsair or Bitfenix for most of my customer builds unless they have a super tight budget.

Yeah, I know. I hate it when I hit the overclock limit when I have tons of cooling room to spare. I just finally got lucky with a chip. I did happen upon this site: http://siliconlottery.com/collections/allI believe they bin chips and sell the better binned CPU's at a higher price. The lower overclocking ones, they sell cheaper. I've never bought any from them, but know some people at OCN that do.

I usually go Corsair or NZXT, but usually whichever is good but cheap at the moment. I'll have to try Bitfenix cases, I don't think I ever had a Bitfenix case.

Yeah, I know. I hate it when I hit the overclock limit when I have tons of cooling room to spare. I just finally got lucky with a chip. I did happen upon this site: http://siliconlottery.com/collections/allI believe they bin chips and sell the better binned CPU's at a higher price. The lower overclocking ones, they sell cheaper. I've never bought any from them, but know some people at OCN that do.

I usually go Corsair or NZXT, but usually whichever is good but cheap at the moment. I'll have to try Bitfenix cases, I don't think I ever had a Bitfenix case.

I read the review on siliconlottery from OCN as well, and their prices are killer for their mid tier binned chips. It's a no-brainer to me.

One of my favorite chassis in the $100 range,.. the Corsair Obsidian Series 450D mid-tower, http://www.corsair.com/en/obsidian-series-450d-mid-tower-pc-case offers lots of options for basic water cooling with small footprint. 

I'm using a 650D for my gaming system and it has room to spare. Put a Phobya 200 in the front and a 240 in the top. Used an Apogee Drive II for the pump and block to save some space and it works well. Outside the budget but it works.  

I have to say after owning corsair cases and moving to the Casleabs S5 with pedestal, this case is in a different league from pretty much anything out there. The ability to access basically any part of the case with ease in water cooling is huge. I can pull out radiators/fans without touching any other component. Currently I have 2 Alphacool Nexxxos UT60  in the pedestal and I could add two more 240mm in the main case if I wanted, but even with everything overclocked the system is basically silent. This is with a 5820k @ 4.5GHz and SLI 780 Ti's also overclocked.

I would say you would be hard pressed to find a better case for water cooling then what Caselabs offers, not to mention the build quality is excellent. The cost was tough to swallow, but after using one for water cooling I wouldn't choose anything else currently. If you are not watercooling then there are many more options. I have mine even setup so all I have to is turn a valve to drain the entire system. 

Edited by raidflex

I have to say after owning corsair cases and moving to the Casleabs S5 with pedestal, this case is in a different league from pretty much anything out there. The ability to access basically any part of the case with ease in water cooling is huge. I can pull out radiators/fans without touching any other component. Currently I have 2 Alphacool Nexxxos UT60  in the pedestal and I could add two more 240mm in the main case if I wanted, but even with everything overclocked the system is basically silent. This is with a 5820k @ 4.5GHz and SLI 780 Ti's also overclocked.

I would say you would be hard pressed to find a better case for water cooling then what Caselabs offers, not to mention the build quality is excellent. The cost was tough to swallow, but after using one for water cooling I wouldn't choose anything else currently. If you are not watercooling then there are many more options. I have mine even setup so all I have to is turn a valve to drain the entire system. 

Yea the high end cases can be awesome, even just the little things can add up to a more pleasant build...personally I won't go back to a vertical motherboard layout. I love being able to slide out my whole motherboard/CPU/GPUs with 4 thumb screws and not disconnecting a ton of stuff! If I had QDCs (and no insulated chiller lines in the way lol) I could have everything apart within 2 minutes :). Also you can run big heavy coolers and waterblocks and not worry about strain on the CPU socket or GPUs connectors. I've sagged enough GPU PCB's in my day :O

• 1 month later...