I'm sure your right about not needing a new computer. just wanted originally to get a bit more power from my current system.

You keep telling you need power, but after multiple questions what for, you do not answer.

What exactly do you need the "extra" power for?

Gaming? - not needed, you won't notice much.

Video editing / rendering? - you can shave off a minute, maybe two with the 5930K overclocked, but that's about it really

Extracting / compressing files? - the difference between that is quite small as well.

Overall, the new 4770K you looked at is roughly  10~% faster clock for clock, and it probably won't go high in the overclocking spectrum (lucky if you get 4.5GHz), so the performance gains from that will be pretty small as well.

Your pc is already really good, and i really wonder why you need an upgrade.

I've been following Ebay with an eye on 6 core 1366's.  There have been quite a few running between $89 and $200, most of them around $150.  That might be worth a shot.  I'll be interested to see what you do as I'm considering this upgrade too.  I won't spend over $200 though.  

Edited by Minime 939

I don't have a real need for more power,it's a want for more.I've had this computer longer then any I have ever owned before and have an itch to upgrade.

As I said it's a want,but I know I don't need it. So I was looking for something I could do to satisfy my urge to make a change with out going crazy with it. Thats all it is and it brings me back to my original question

about the 6 core cpu.

Edited by dling

I seriously doubt you would notice a difference between that processor at that speed, going from 8 threads to 12 threads.  You'd have to be doing an awful lot at one time, running a software that actually uses more than 4 threads (are there any?) along with the 1 or 2 that windows and whatever is using in the backround, or running a multicore benchmark. 

Maybe at that resolution you could benefit from another gpu?

Yeah I traded my X58 stuff (plus $$ of course) to El_Capi so I could get my current 2600K and board. I don't regret it.

If I were you I'd find a 2600K/3770K (delidded) and a nice 1155 board (Z68/Z77) used for a song and sell what you have, they'll clock good and run cooler doing it. You'll get the satisfaction of an upgrade as well. Your system seems pretty perfect after that.

No need to go new, not worth it really.

Then again if you find a compatible gulftown for under $100 then it's worth it. That'd kick serious ass, even against today's CPUs

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Single chip comparison performance wise the i7-980X smokes the X5650 hands down,.. but an SR-2 and dual X5650's would be interesting.

Maybe at stock because at stock the X5650 is at 2.66GHz while the i7-980X is at 3.33GHz. The X5650 is actually a better CPU with higher TCase (thus allowing hotter temps). Set them both up at 4.4GHz, you won't see a difference. Maybe a slight lead for the X5650 for benchmarks.