How Long Would you trust a PSU?

I have this old BFG GS-550 power supply I pulled from an older build that needs a fan. The fan isn't locked up but it is very stiff and takes a few minutes to get moving on its own after switched on. 

It has seen about 8 years of service. 

I visually inspected it and I see no signs of capacitor bulging or aging and it seems to power on and work fine. 

Is there anything I should check for before I purchase a new 140mm fan for it? Should I check volts with my multimeter and if I did would I just look for stable readings on the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rails respectively? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

Edited by GabrielTessin

The best way to check a psu is under some type of load, with nothing hooked up it might show all good voltages, but with a load on it the volts could drop, after 8 years it would have some voltage drop but still may be quite good.

The best way to check a psu is under some type of load, with nothing hooked up it might show all good voltages, but with a load on it the volts could drop, after 8 years it would have some voltage drop but still may be quite good.

What kind of load would you suggest? Just swap it into a built rig and run a OCCT full stystem load test and measure the voltage? 

Johnny Guru gave it a great review back in the day so I am guessing if any PSU had a chance of lasting 8+ years it would be one of these.

Man you have a collector's item!! I miss BFG...

Anyway, yeah I'd throw it under load with a computer and check its voltages :)

Yeah, they were a cool company, who else would plate a PSU in Black Nickle? 

I know a place in town that has a BFG 9800GT new in box. If they didn't want a fortune for it I think it would have sold by now.

I trust PSUs until they die. They are among my most loyal PC components.

Same here. I have only had one fail on me and it was running 24/7 365 for 6 years at a load higher than it was rated for so I really cannot complain that it died. 

I've had PSUs die from just sitting.

I've got an old Raidmax PSU and a OCZ 600w unit that worked on last fire up but sat 2 years on the bench and now dead. no bulging caps or anything.

I had an older Thermaltake that was in a rig that worked fine but was real dusty.... i blew it out real good and it never worked after that.... I'll run them until they either make a noise or they die.

Yeah the good PSUs will just not turn off, verus cheap ones the blow out your system to. So I buy good brands and trust they have some quailty fail safes. I wouldn't worry really if it was rated good.