What's up with Crucial, lately?

El_Capitan

Potential wipe versus required is a big difference. :P

Yes, even so, it should be at the user's discretion. Most people who update SSD firmware know what they're doing, anyways. Some of the firmware updates aren't easy.

Hey, I'm new to SSD's and I have this Crucial M550.  I don't notice any problems except that I've noticed a flashing of my keyboard and mouse (the illumination) when I'm in the bios MIT intelligent tweaker windows.  There is no flashing of the screens just the keyboard and mouse.  I didn't notice it before installing the SSD, and everything else seems fine.  Could the SSD be the culprit, and would this update help with this problem?  If not do you think this update is necessary anyway?  Thanks

Edited by Minime 939

Highly unlikely that installing a SSD would change flashing light behavior on your keyboard and mouse.  If everything else is working fine I don't see any reason to update the SSD firmware unless you're just feeling frisky or know for a fact that the new firmware addresses a specific problem you're having.

If you're the kind of person that just has to have the latest firmware for every piece of hardware you own, then flash away, otherwise I view peripheral hardware firmware flashing like I do motherboard BIOS flashing......... if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.  There is always a risk (however small) that you could brick a piece of your gear.

cheap and high storage are all that matters 

speeds are faster than the average consumer needs and no longer really matter

I'm sure many more factories are producing memory now then 5 years ago

the m550 is pretty old now

it may be similar hardware but the newer drives are probably made more efficiently and quality cuts made where possible

new and better firmware costs licensing and R&D costs

processor market does the same thing, you pay more when they are new and as more are produced with a higher yield they become cheaper

nvidia rebrands everything, probably even the instruction manual 

the BX100 is just a little cheaper than the MX100 which was the previous cheap model that was cheaper than the m550.

a 500GB SSD for 180$ seems perfectly in-line with the current market prices, I don't see anything strange, but I don't really care about the features and such. 

cheap and high storage are all that matters 

speeds are faster than the average consumer needs and no longer really matter

+100000, it's like RAM speed, once you hit the general threshold you just won't see the speed differences realtime unless you're buying the SSD to move bar graphs.

For me it's whatever capacity I want then I look at price, and if the price between two brands are pretty similar (~$10), I'll choose the one with the longer warranty, or if they're the same then the cheaper one wins. If they're the same price, I'll try and find speed/durability tests of them

Yes, even so, it should be at the user's discretion. Most people who update SSD firmware know what they're doing, anyways. Some of the firmware updates aren't easy.

Sure, but this took time and effort to implement to produce a higher-end product.  I see no problem with them charging more for it.