What's up with Crucial, lately?

El_Capitan

Crucial's been marketing their BX100's like crazy. They're basically budget SSD's, and their first SSD product that uses the Silicon Motion 2246EN controller (with 16nm 128Gbit NAND), It also has no M-class features like hardware-accelerated encryption or SLC caching.

No official reviews out, and it's not priced like a "budget" SSD, either.

Don't get me wrong, I love Crucial's SSD's. Most of my SSD's are from Crucial. I just don't like where they're going.

you mean the MX100 series? I love what crucial is doing, it bringing the ssd market down. I bought the 512GB version for $170, than a Intel 730 480gb for $200 and now a Sandisk Ultra 2 for $190. This is insane. Yeah they are made with 19mm MLC and wear out after 70TB but that just makes all the high end brands drop in price. I just put it in my laptop and replaced my dying hdd. Great investment.

you mean the MX100 series? I love what crucial is doing, it bringing the ssd market down. I bought the 512GB version for $170, than a Intel 730 480gb for $200 and now a Sandisk Ultra 2 for $190. This is insane. Yeah they are made with 19mm MLC and wear out after 70TB but that just makes all the high end brands drop in price. I just put it in my laptop and replaced my dying hdd. Great investment.

No, they have two new releases, BX100, and MX200. There's been a review of the MX200 (same controller and hardware and layout as the MX100, but a firmware update basically changes things around and improves performance, so they're now calling it a MX200).

is that bad? better preformance for the same price?

It could be bad. SSD firmware updates downloadable from company sites are free, usually fixed certain issues, and sometimes even provided a performance boost. Now, imagine if instead of doing that, the companies just released the same SSD (only updated the firmware), but called it a newer generation model, but your "previous" generation SSD isn't allowed to have that firmware update, even though if you were able to get your hands on the firmware update, it would essentially become the next generation model. It would be like if NVIDIA releasing a GTX 980, stopped giving out driver updates past 347.52, released a GTX 1080 (which is exactly the same as a GTX 980), but you get driver updates past 347.52, which increases performance by 10% - 15%? Basically, we would have to pay for driver and firmware updates.

For me, I don't mind them advertising a product without giving it a proper review, since I don't buy any products without first reading official and consumer reviews for it, first. I just think it's bad practice. Again, it would be like NVIDIA releasing a GTX 1080, marketing it as being twice as fast as the previous generation GTX 680, but it actually performing less than a GTX 970 and costing around $550.

I might just get a MX100 120GB SSD and try flashing it with MX200 firmware... if they ever release a firmware update for it on their website.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

It's been 7 months since the MX100 was released, and it hasn't had a firmware update for it. Usually there's always a firmware update within 6 months for newly released SSD's to adjust or fix something.

It seems fast enough and no issues I've run into. I've only written about 2TB to it so far. I do know it's fairly slow on the 4k and uncompressable data from the benchmarks i've run

I'm not questioning the speed and quality of the SSD's, I'm sure they're more than adequate, just their somewhat new business strategy. I own more SSD's than anyone I know, and the majority of SSD's are Crucial SSD's. I just don't like the direction they're going.

seems to me crucial figured out how to play the market. Good for them! While they made be releasing the same product rebranded, it drives prices down for other SSDs and thats good in my eyes.

There's been a review of the MX200 (same controller and hardware and layout as the MX100, but a firmware update basically changes things around and improves performance, so they're now calling it a MX200).

It appears that there's a lot more to the MX200 than just a firmware update - the entire firmware is totally different in how it functions.  There's dynamic SLC caching, supposedly better flash, and a whole host of other things.

Beyond that, I'd bet it's because even *if* it's the same flash, the dynamic SLC caching update would require a total wipe of the drive and almost no manufacturers would want to deal with that kind of customer support nightmare.

I don't see this as any different than product segmentation based on features.  Said features don't have to be physical. :P

There's been a review of the MX200 (same controller and hardware and layout as the MX100, but a firmware update basically changes things around and improves performance, so they're now calling it a MX200).

It appears that there's a lot more to the MX200 than just a firmware update - the entire firmware is totally different in how it functions.  There's dynamic SLC caching, supposedly better flash, and a whole host of other things.

Beyond that, I'd bet it's because even *if* it's the same flash, the dynamic SLC caching update would require a total wipe of the drive and almost no manufacturers would want to deal with that kind of customer support nightmare.

I don't see this as any different than product segmentation based on features.  Said features don't have to be physical. :P

A firmware update requiring a total wipe of the drive hasn't stopped manufacturers from releasing firmware updates in the past. Just look at Crucial's own page for their M550 Firmware update. It very clearly states a WARNING about potential issues with flashing. Clearly headaches can still happen, and they're not against having consumers flash their own SSD's. If a firmware update that flashes a MX100 to a MX200 does indeed do a total wipe of the drive, it should be up to the consumers to make the decision whether to do so or not. If they do it and don't back up their data, it's their fault for not reading the WARNING in bright white text with an orange background.

I guess in a way, this has been going on for a while with different products. Like gaming graphics cards vs. professional graphics cards. The same physical hardware, just soft-modded to become a QUADRO or FirePro. The price difference of that softmod though, is in the hundreds or thousand's, though. :P

zDydWP.jpg

Edited by El_Capitan