Microsoft to give away Windows 10 as free upgrade

kyfire

Microsoft Corp will give away its upcoming Windows 10 operating system as a free upgrade to users of the most recent versions of Windows and Windows Phone, as the world's largest software company tries to hold onto customers in the new mobile era that has largely bypassed it.

Windows 10, expected on the market this autumn, will be available for one year as a free upgrade to users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1, Myerson said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-to-give-away-windows-10-as-free-upgrade/ar-AA8rgy9

I think they worded it oddly. Within the first year, anyone that upgrades to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and later, gets the upgrade for free. After the first year, it's no longer free.

It's not that you get it for 1 year free, then it's no longer free. Once you upgrade, you're done. No backsies.

I'll try it, why not. I like 8.1 a lot (after installing Classic Shell)

What I want back from Win7 is the main user account to actually have full administrator power (aka not having to enable the hidden SUPER admin account to be an admin), and better access to stored wifi networks/passwords. There's probably a couple things I'm missing but they aren't as major as those two things.

I'll stay optimistic for now!

What I want back from Win7 is the main user account to actually have full administrator power (aka not having to enable the hidden SUPER admin account to be an admin), and better access to stored wifi networks/passwords. There's probably a couple things I'm missing but they aren't as major as those two things.

I want some more info on this SUPER admin for Windows 8.1.

I want some more info on this SUPER admin for Windows 8.1.

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/11/windows-8-enable-the-hidden-administrator-account/

first thing I do with every new 8.1 install

• Like 1

I'm so confused after reading posts. So I got Win 7 years ago when I bought my PC (it was a free upgrade from Win...Vista?). So will I qualify for Win 10 then? I may not install it just to see what people say about Win 10 irst.

I'm so confused after reading posts. So I got Win 7 years ago when I bought my PC (it was a free upgrade from Win...Vista?). So will I qualify for Win 10 then? I may not install it just to see what people say about Win 10 irst.

I don't see why you wouldn't

If it aint broke dont fix it is my view, win 7 pro has been good to me, I have trasfered the same install from the original drive to a hybrid several years ago then to a SSD not long ago... Never had a windows OS run this long without problems or haveing to do a clean install again..

Edited by road-runner

If it aint broke dont fix it is my view, win 7 pro has been good to me, I have trasfered the same install from the original drive to a hybrid several years ago then to a SSD not long ago... Never had a windows OS run this long without problems or haveing to do a clean install again..

Win7 is definitely one of the greatest if not the greatest windows they've made (without any modifications necessary).