How to Overclock an Intel Pentium G3258 Guide

Bosco

• 1 year later...

Hello,

How is it possible to run your ram @ 2133 with an Pentium G3258 on Z97 MB? Everyone on forums ( tomshardware, etc) claims that the CPU memory controller limits the speed @ 1333/1400, including some guys with Z97 systems. Even ASUS guys told me that is "impossible", so they are lying.

I got a nice litte ASUS Vanguard B85 with nice Crucial tactical memory and G3258@ 4.5, it would be a shame to run the memory at only 1400. How do increase its speed? Do I need a modified BIOS? The one I got , UEFI BIOS, has lots and lots of voltage options ( and others ) for CPU, but nothing for memory multiplier or bCLK.

For a few dollars more i can get some entry level Z97, but Vanguard looks too tough and polished to give up on it.

Thank you Isaiah ( hornybluecow ), or anyone who helps.

Edited by sUzi9mm

I ran ours at 2400 without any trouble, I just selected the XMP profile and rebooted.

Sadly that doesn't work on all boards, it was a real fight with most of the B85 boards I've used to get it to run higher and some just refuse to.  The one Z87 board I put one in wasn't just set and forget, though XMP DID end up working with some 1600 rated ram (but not the 2400 I was going to run in it). If you have choices swapping the BIOS for an older or newer version may let XMP work but be sure to check it in Windows after boot as some boards will lie in the UEFI screens saying they set high ram speeds yet in windows you find they're still @ 1333. I've recently only used one ASUS B85 board and can't remember how it went.  Considering they were charging MORE for your board than an entry level Z97 board one would think they would have something like that figured out on it.  

So it's some kind of lottery, unfortunately. I've tried with older versions of BIOS, the XMP was recognized correctly (1600), but the system wouldn't start. Strangely in the next bios versions ( those optimized for Haswell ) the ram speed limit was even lower, 1333. Now I'm forced to stick to the newest BIOS, at least it supports 1400 with 6-7 latency.

Maybe some AMI BIOS editing tools would work....

But for the time being i give up.

Thank you

Edited by sUzi9mm

It's definitely able to run 2400. Since the guide I swapped it out for 2133 memory because I was using my review rigs memory for it. Either way, anything above 1333 is not supported by Intel for the G3258. Usually just enabling the XMP profile works but some chips / motherboards require tweaking the memory controller voltage.

The Asus Rep shouldn't have said it was impossible, they know better. But the higher the frequency above specs, the lower the chance of  success.

2133.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a G3258 on an MSI Z97 PC Mate Board. Great CPU...won the lottery.  It Overclocks stable to 4.8 without doing anything but uping the multiplier.   I haven't overclocked a CPU in quite some time.  Since I purchased my 3930k.  This combo was 100 dollars and I bought it just to play with and overclock.     

Two questions.  In the article it is stated that the CPU has a hard limit of 4.9 - 5.0.  Is this literally an engineering limit of some sort or is it just what people have hit as a limit?  Can you explain why that limit exists?  Second...when I used to overclock...tweaking the FSB frequency was either part of the equation or all of it.  With this board...even at stock speeds...I can't bump that up to even 101.  I find it perplexing that the board ...memory...PCI bus ...whatever...can't even handle that small of a bump.  My hope was to get this to 5ghz...but from what you article says that may not be possible.  Don't want to waste my time trying to achieve what isn't possible.  I have good cooling.  At 4.8 on Prime 95 I don't top 65 degrees.  Thanks

Altered the system agent voltage with offsets between .100 and .250, no success. Won't run at 1600 or higher, even with higher latencies and voltage.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/blt4g3d1608et3lx0#reviewDetails

I'm not really certain what causes the 1333/1400 limit here. The CPU, the chipset/MB, the BIOS or a combination of them?

Your problem is not the CPU but the B85 chipset motherboard that is limiting your memory speed. I saw the same issue with the B150 chipset using a 6700K.  If you want to get the memory speed you are after you will need to step up to a Z97 chipset board to allow you the flexibility to overclock or even run the XMP profile.

The ASUS guys were right in this instance.   

I have a G3258 on an MSI Z97 PC Mate Board.

Two questions.  In the article it is stated that the CPU has a hard limit of 4.9 - 5.0.  Is this literally an engineering limit of some sort or is it just what people have hit as a limit?

It has a semi 4.8ghz limit because of the voltage limitations. You can keep going higher with more voltage but that will just kill your CPU quicker. Most users can't achieve anything above 4.8ghz due to heat or staying with safe voltage (1.35v). 1.4v is pushing it and above that your just asking to kill the chip, and that is a engineering limit.

• 5 months later...

Followed your guide but can't get higher than 4ghz at 1.2v (on stock cooler). Also I can't increase the uncore ratio at all without making the system unstable. Seems like I have a poor quality chip, but looking for an advice.

Motherboard - MSI H81I (current BIOS)

CPU Core - 40 (Fixed)

CPU Voltage - 1.2v (Override) 

C-State - Disabled

Thermal monitoring - Disabled

All other settings on Auto

Thanks,

Mike