Only 4 of 16 gigs of ram usable?

NCC10281982B

Woah you almost gave out your product key to the whole world. I removed the pic, maybe reupload it with the product key blanked out ;)

But it is very strange to see 4Gb out of 16Gb usable on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS...

Well no real answer on what's causing it (I'm assuming you posted a pretty SS of windows saying 16GGB ram with 4GBish usable blah blah blah, btw Product ID != Key, but some idiot's prob taken the time to find a way to convert them so meh) but troubleshooting it should be an easy at least in the beginning.

Here's what I would do:

1. Re-seat the memory because why not.  We would all feel stupid if it were that easy (hell go ahead and load BIOS defaults while you're at it)

2. Assuming the BIOS shows all 16GB (and I'm guessing it will) try booting an OS from CD/DVD like x64 Ubuntu/A good PE image, here's an easy ready made one if you would like that I know works well/even run memtest and see if it's testing 16/4GB

3. Assuming everything checks out in all those steps I would assume it's an issue with windows itself and that could be easy or hard to find an answer I'll be doing that thinking thing as this is going to be a hard one with google being full of people yelling at 32bit OS users about needing 64bit windows even IF someone's posted a fix.

EDIT: another idea I just thought of and ran into the only other time I've had an issue like this, run msconfig > boot tab > Advanced Options and see if "Max Memory" is checked and set, if so that could be the issue.

Disclaimer SS from Windows 8.1, though I'm reasonably sure it looks pretty much the same.

ma9c8l.jpg

Edited by cchalogamer

I knew I forgot to black out something oddly enough I can't access the Dimms because of the fan that is installed.

Cpuz says 16 gigs. Idk if this is related but I get a ecc 211 error during post. Also virtual box will only let me run 32bit is, inspire of windows being 64bit.

Reseting the modules fixed the 4 gig problem :)

I've had some weird stuff with VirtualBox and it has some known issues at the moment (or at least a month or two ago) that could be causing what you're seeing with it so I would ignore that for now.

As a side note what hardware are you running, CPU/memory/motherboard?

Edited by cchalogamer

Ok, I'll be honest, I want to stab you in your face parts for making me dig through that for the info, but I would not be surprised if this isn't related to Home Premium on a Dual CPU machine.  You could try that PE image I posted as I'm 90% sure it's built of 8.1 Enterprise.

msconfig, boot, advanced options, unclick maximum memory or try clicking it and selecting all 16gigs.

I can't see the pictures so idk where it's showing the 4gigs at but this might be it?  I know I've had some issues with my pc doing this when I played with those options

Edited by Fight Game